Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

import from a tab-delimited file fails

• suselko
  • suselko's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #194053 by suselko
When I add the attached question to my tab-delimited file, the import is not successful any longer. It says 'import of the survey is completed' but it shows zero groups and questions (second attachment), and when I click on 'go to survey' it says 'internal server error' (third attachment). I have omitted other questions/groups in the survey from the first attachment for simplicity. Any help much appreciated!

File Attachment:

File Name: Book12.txt
File Size:4 KB
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 2 months ago #194056 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic import from a tab-delimited file fails
Look at a simple TSV file : there are Survey and group before the 1st question.

You need Survey and one Group before 21st question.

There still an issue : LimeSurvey muts check it for you (and give you a clean information) : you can report.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • suselko
  • suselko's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #194061 by suselko
Replied by suselko on topic import from a tab-delimited file fails
Thanks Denis, sorry if I wasn't clear in my message, I have got other groups and questions in my survey but I removed them in that attachment so that readers can quickly see the problematic question without having to browse through a lot of guff.
Anyway, I have solved the issue, it was caused by a combination of me doing copying and pasting from Word to Excel and UTF-8 encoding. Basically Excel was converting some characters like the apostrophe into funny characters and that was causing LimeSurvey to detect them as non-English, hence the error message about languages. Here is my 'cookbook' for avoiding this issue:
- first either (a) copy your text in Word, paste it into Notepad, save that document BUT CHOOSE UTF-8 ENCODING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SAVE WINDOW, or (b) save your Word document as ‘Plain Text’ and in the following window choose ‘Other encoding’ => Unicode (UTF-8)
- then copy text from that Notepad / Word document and paste it into LimeSurvey Excel form
- then save that Excel document as UNICODE, not tab-delimited!
- the reason is that the default encoding of a text file is ANSI and it converts characters like ‘ to funny ones which are then not recognised by LS as English characters
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 2 months ago #194070 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic import from a tab-delimited file fails
:laugh:

Else : my advice for TSV file : www.libreoffice.org/discover/calc/

When you export, juts rename txt to tsv and : nothing other to do.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose