Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Possible to fill in the same survey multiple times

• ancosema
  • ancosema's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #190348 by ancosema
Hello,

I set up a token-based survey (both anonymous and not anonymous), and noticed that it's possible to fill in the same survey multiple times by going to the survey url in different browsers.

This seems like a bug to me, is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks,
Anja
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #190349 by Joffm
Hi,
as far as I understand you have a token based survey with a participants table.
So in my opinion after a respondent completed the survey, in the participants table should be this part.

You see the "completed" and "uses left" columns.
Now you say that it is possible to start a new survey for a token that completed the survey and has a "uses left" value of "0".
If this is really possible it is really a bug.
The normal case is - and I never saw something else:

"Sorry, this invitation was used already"

So, please describe your design a bit more, you say "both anonymous and not anonymous". How did you do that?

Joffm

P.S. In case you use this setting
"Set cookie to prevent repeated participation"
it is obvious. The cookie is saved in the browser. So a different one doesn't know it.

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Joffm.
  • holch
More
4 years 5 months ago #190351 by holch
This should not happen, as long as you have not set the uses left higher than 1.

Once a survey was filled using a specific token, this link/token should not allow respondents to enter, no matter if the survey is opened on the same computer or browser or not.

However, as long as the survey has NOT been finished, it would be possible to use the token on more than one computer. But once the survey has been finished once, the link/token should not work a second time (as long as the "uses left" was only 1).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • ancosema
More
4 years 5 months ago #190354 by ancosema
Hello,

Indeed, I made a token based survey with a participants table, sent an invitation to myself and used the link to the survey in two different browsers: I opened the survey in one browser, then I opened the survey in the second browser, filled out the survey (it was only one page with one question - a voting form) in one survey and then in the other browser. I received two confirmation mails, 'uses left' value became '-1' (initial value was '1') and I could find 2 responses in the response overview while the response overview was saying only one survey was filled out.

Enable token-based response persistence is 'off', Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token is also 'off' and 'Set cookie to prevent repeated responses is also 'off'

I tested it with two different surveys: one with 'anonymized responses' and one where responses are not anonymized.

Anja
  • tpartner
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #190356 by tpartner
This may be a bug, please file a bug report. I can see how it would be possible to start a survey in different browsers but it should not be possible to complete it more times than the initial usesleft value.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by tpartner.
  • holch
More
4 years 5 months ago #190357 by holch
If this happens with the latest version of Limesurvey, then please create a bug report.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Joffm
  • Away
More
4 years 5 months ago #190359 by Joffm
Hi, I tested in version 3.15.5.

Here I could start a survey with the same token twice in two different browsers.

But after completing one survey I got the error message in the other browser when I tried to proceed to a next page.

So if this - correct - behaviour is different in the actual version, a bug has entered the code.

Joffm

BTW: Which version do you use?

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • ancosema
More
4 years 5 months ago #190383 by ancosema
I submitted a bug report with more details at bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=15465
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 4 months ago #190393 by DenisChenu
Can not really confirm …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
3 years 7 months ago #204494 by AliaAlia
Have you tried to make Set cookie to prevent repeated participation active? It is within sitting > publication and access.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose