Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Max characters other field

• bulgin
  • bulgin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #174946 by bulgin
Max characters other field was created by bulgin
I see this post:

www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...-characters-in-input

addresses how to set a minimum character length but I can't find this "advanced settings of question for Input"?

Where is that? I am trying to set the maximum character length for "other" in multiple choices.

As an aside, why does the button that states: "Add new question to group" keep popping up and as well, clicking on it does nothing. See attached screenshot of the annoying element.

Thank you.
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 6 months ago #174948 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Max characters other field
This element makes total sense to be able to quicker add questions. However, currently this seems to be buggy. I have already created a bug report a couple of days ago. Today it has been asigned to someone:
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=14106

Regarding maximum characters: Please refer to the manual.
manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Lo..._.28maximum_chars.29

This is where you can set the maximum number of characters for a long text type question, which is the question type they are talking about in your link.

From what I understood, you are looking at something totally different. You want to limit the number of characters in the "other" text box.

What question type are you using?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• bulgin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #174952 by bulgin
Replied by bulgin on topic Max characters other field
Thank you!

It is the last entry for a list of multiple choice radio buttons. If you are going to send me to a file to edit, that's fine, but please tell me wherein the installation I would find that file.

Thank you.
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174953 by holch
As far as I can see, for this other field there is no option to limit the maximum characters. However, this is a small field, I doubt that anyone will insert a lot of text. Probably there is also a hard limit for characters on this small field or in the database anyway.

If you really need to limit the character number in this field you probably will have to do it via Javascript, but I have no idea how to do it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• bulgin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
5 years 6 months ago #174954 by bulgin
Replied by bulgin on topic Max characters other field
I'm fine as long as there is a hard limit so that some malicious user doesn't pack the field with the encyclopedia Britannica.
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174955 by holch
I am quite sure there is a hard limit. If not imposed by Limesurvey, it is probably based on the type of Database column. So I don't think that you will receive the encyclopedia. You could make a small test. Just try to copy a huge text into the field and see what happens.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose