Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Help with LimeSurvey

• jayeshkaka
  • jayeshkaka's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #174910 by jayeshkaka
Help with LimeSurvey was created by jayeshkaka
Hi guys,

I'm working on a project for an Asian government body. As part of the project, I need to run a survey to collect some data. I was going to use a survey platform like Survey Gizmo or Qualtrics. But the government is now saying that I cannot use a platform that isn't hosted on domestic servers due to sensitive information and privacy issues. So that essentially leaves me with... nada.

So then I found out about LimeSurvey. And then I read that to install and implement it locally, I need an Apache, mySQL and PHP combo. I don't know what any of those mean or what any of those do.

1) Can someone ELI5 about what I'm supposed to do to get LimeSurvey set up? I'm a complete noob.

2) Is LimeSurvey even an appropriate solution for me? Is there something easier and better?

Thanks in advance!!
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 6 months ago #174916 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Help with LimeSurvey

jayeshkaka wrote: 1) Can someone ELI5 about what I'm supposed to do to get LimeSurvey set up? I'm a complete noob.

I realy think you must ask if there are an dedicated informatic service's … hosting on domestic servers is not a noob task ;).

Not the part for LimeSurvey (this is a noob task), but : part server part (web server, email etc … part) …

jayeshkaka wrote: 2) Is LimeSurvey even an appropriate solution for me?

Yes

jayeshkaka wrote: Is there something easier and better?

No, LimeSurvey is best for ever ( ;) , seriously : maybe, but if you need to host on domestic server : you need to setup this server : and this is complex).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
5 years 6 months ago #174951 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Help with LimeSurvey
I think Limesurvey is exactly the right tool for your purposes, as it is the only serious survey plattform (that I know of) that can be installed on premise.

Creating the survey will be simple, but if you are a total noob, you should leave the installation of Limesurvey to someone with some experience in this. I would guess, that the government body not only has requirements for the location of the server, but also about the security of the installation. So you should check with them if they have the possibility to set up a server by a professional server administrator for you.

Ideally they have a server with LAMP environment (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) setup and install Limesurvey on it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose