Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Multiple Choice bug

• beth193
  • beth193's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #158549 by beth193
Multiple Choice bug was created by beth193
Hi,

I am running a survey which has a page with two fairly simple questions - a text field, and a multiple choice question - and the mulitple choice has 18 subquestions they can choose from. I have it set so they need exactly three selected (so minimum of 3 and maximum of 3), and so far over 100 people have completed the survey without an issue. However, at least three users have reported they cannot click on 'more than 2' - once they click two, they can no longer click on any more; but when I log in using their token I can see they have actually clicked 5 or 6. This same scenario has happened several times, and I'm guessing they are using older browsers - one user sent me a screenshot and the fonts in the screenshot were old Times New Roman style, rather than the new Raleway font I set it to use, which makes it look like an older browser not supporting new fonts. I'm wondering if there's some javascript or something in the multiple choice question that may not be supported on older browser, where if they choose a certain number (maybe to do with the max or min) it bugs out and won't show any more selections?

I'd really, really appreciate any help on this, I don't know the code behind these questions enough to figure out such a rarely occurring issue but my clients are really unhappy - thank you so much for any suggestions!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am on Version 2.65.6+170615, thanks!
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by beth193. Reason: Provide version number
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #158556 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Multiple Choice bug
Hello beth193,

I'd advise you create a sample survey with just this question and template, activate it and send us the link.
So we can try to reproduce it.
Furthermore you should send this sample survey as *.lss.

And you changed the template

new Raleway font I set it to use

Can you reproduce it with the default template?

Thanks
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Joffm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, beth193
  • beth193
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #158567 by beth193
Replied by beth193 on topic Multiple Choice bug
Thanks Joffm,

I will make a new survey with just that question like you've said; I'm not sure if it will help much as unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce the problem at all, and I've tested on IE9-11, Chrome, Safari, Firefox - that's why I was hoping someone with some javascript knowledge or browser quirks might have some suggestions! I've never seen it before, and it's extremely rare (3 out of 100 at this point), but I can't get any further information from the users as to what system they're on or browser they're using - all I have to go off at this point is the screenshot where it's showing a default font rather than the one I specify in my template. So I haven't been able to reproduce this in my default template or without - but the changes to the template don't affect much, just fonts and colours and logos, and a little javascript for button names. If I could reproduce the problem with my template I'd test with the default for sure, but I haven't been able to yet!

Where should I send the .lss to - just upload somewhere and give you access to the download?

Thanks so much again for any help, I really appreciate it.

Edit: Here is the link to that question group in a sample survey: dev.surveys.run/index.php/289265?lang=en
It's just using the default template as the custom one has client specific info in there, company and team names in the logo etc. But as I said, I don't believe the template does much that would affect this one type of question - but if you have any ideas of what I can look for that would be fantastic
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by beth193. Reason: provide survey link
  • Joffm
More
6 years 7 months ago #158576 by Joffm
Hello beth193,

well, the only thing I could reproduce in a real IE7 (not emulation) was a destroyed layout. (screenshot)
Really obvious, because IE7 is not supported by bootstrap 3.

Sorry, I cannot say more.

Kind regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: beth193
  • beth193
More
6 years 7 months ago #158582 by beth193
Thanks again for your help, I don't think it's that (they come from a site that relies on bootstrap 3 so I think they would have had more issues than this one) but I appreciate you looking at it!

The template I am using is based off the Newspaper template, and I did change the 'Check all that apply' section to be hidden by adding
.good{
display:none;
}
to the newpaper.css, I have changed this now to be .em_default.emtip.good just in case some of the ticks got given the 'good' class (but I don't see how!).

I guess I have one last question, if anyone knows anything - I wonder if it's related to the font not showing up? The font settings are at the very top of the newspaper.css file (and it uses the @font-face css for all different browser types), so if that's not loading I'm wondering if something is breaking the .css completely, and somehow hiding check/ticks when there's >2. If anyone has any ideas, or if there's anywhere I can go to ask (I'm happy to pay a support fee, I don't expect free help) please let me know!
  • Joffm
More
6 years 7 months ago #158583 by Joffm
Well,
if you include the font by
Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: 'Lato';
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: 400;
  src: url('../fonts/lato-v11-latin-regular.eot'); /* IE9 Compat Modes */
  src: local('Lato Regular'), local('Lato-Regular'),
       url('../fonts/lato-v11-latin-regular.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'), /* IE6-IE8 */
       url('../fonts/lato-v11-latin-regular.woff2') format('woff2'), /* Super Modern Browsers */
       url('../fonts/lato-v11-latin-regular.woff') format('woff'), /* Modern Browsers */
       url('../fonts/lato-v11-latin-regular.ttf') format('truetype'), /* Safari, Android, iOS */
       url('../fonts/lato-v11-latin-regular.svg#Lato') format('svg'); /* Legacy iOS */
}

or directly from Google by
Code:
@import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Raleway:500,500i,700,700i');
shouldn't make a difference, if everywhere the font-family is set to that font:
Code:
font-family: "Raleway", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

BTW: Nobody here expects a payment, but if you get a valuable help (which I unfortunately couldn't give), a donation to the project is appreciated.

Kind regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beth193
  • beth193
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #158603 by beth193
Yep I did it by the first method - and so I'm wondering what could cause that not to work? Because in their screenshot, it was definitely not the font I'm telling it to use (but whenever I look at the page on any browser it is). I wonder what could cause a .css file not to load for someone, and whatever that is maybe it's also breaking the checkboxes...

Edit: some further info, I just noticed I set the body font to Raleway in the template.css file, but in the news_paper.css file it's set to Georgia (which is what I think it showed up as in their screenshot, maybe) - so maybe if the template.css file isn't loading correctly that might somehow affect their multiple choice question? I have no idea really, I'm just a bit desperate for ideas. But if the body font is still Georgia, it mustn't be loading template.css (the Newspaper default theme uses the two .css files, not sure why) so maybe that is somehow breaking the multiple choice question as well (or whatever is causing it not to load template.css is breaking it)
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by beth193.
  • beth193
More
6 years 6 months ago #158908 by beth193
Just in case anyone has the same issue in future, I wanted to post the solution that I (eventually) found - in my case it wasn't a limesurvey issue, but (surprise) an IE/Windows setting. Basically, the checkboxes are using fontawesome icons for the 'tick' - and there is a security setting in internet explorer to block font downloads, which prevents the tick from showing up for users under those security settings. There's also apparently a Windows 10 registry setting which does the same thing, but either way since I don't have control or access to my survey users' security settings, I just changed the css to 'colour in' a checkbox when it's ticked, and have a white tick for all users who can actually see the fontawesome icon. I eventually googled 'Internet Explorer font's not showing up' and found a whole bunch of results, with many different possible solutions/workarounds, but this seems to be a good enough fix for me for now!
More
6 years 6 months ago #158915 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Multiple Choice bug

beth193 wrote: Basically, the checkboxes are using fontawesome icons for the 'tick' - and there is a security setting in internet explorer to block font downloads, which prevents the tick from showing up for users under those security settings. There's also apparently a Windows 10 registry setting which does the same thing,

IE 11 has a setting to block web font download.

Allow font downloads - Determines if HTML font downloads are allowed.

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457144.aspx

Windows 10 has settings to block fonts.

Blocking untrusted fonts helps improve your network and employee protection against font-processing-related attacks. By default, this feature is not turned on.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-...rusted_fonts_feature

The result in Limesurvey can be the same. But the settings and there purpose are very different.

There is a header/cache issue with IE as well. Which sometimes causes the same trouble.
github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/wiki...d-icons-dont-show-up

stackoverflow.com/questions/31291414/fon...ng-in-other-browsers

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose