Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

assign text to a numeric answer in the database

More
11 years 3 months ago #90329 by Gabriela
Good morning,
I have a survey on paper with numeric answers but each number corresponds to a text answer. For example: I have a list of options and each options has a number assigned.
1= I know about this
2= I am aware about this topic
ect...
Is it possible to make a numeric answer question but later in the data base I can read the correspondent text (not the numbers)?

Thank you very, much , hope I wasnt too confusing.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 years 3 months ago #90347 by tpartner
Not out-of-the-box but depending on the question type you can use JavaScript to display the answer codes (numbers) instead of the answer text.

What are your question types?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
11 years 3 months ago #90390 by Gabriela
Hi, thanks for your answer.

Actually my survey is a pre and post test and its on paper.
The respondent can give more than one answer. Depending on his answers, we write the number of the answer in the boxes (max 3). Like this:

As u see its letters. And each letter corresponds to an answer. So If I type 3 letters on the 3 boxes (pre-test), and 3 letters on the 3 boxes (post-test),on the database it would be good it appears the text answers and not the letter...
I was thinking to use a matrix type (x axis Pre and post test) and Y axis...dont know..

Following the image, can you advice wich is the best way to achieve this?

Many many thanks
  • tpartner
More
11 years 3 months ago #90400 by tpartner
Ah, that complicates things. You will need to ensure that only valid letters (numbers?) are entered and that they are only used once for pre and once for post.

It may be easier and safer to use separate multiple-choice questions for pre and post.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
11 years 3 months ago #90405 by Gabriela
;( instead of a matrix...?
Ok...I just wanted to make it as clean as posible.

many thanks again
  • DenisChenu
More
11 years 3 months ago #90423 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic assign text to a numeric answer in the database
Hello,

Maybe you can use one question for the 3 letters and after 3 equation question type with some expression to test the first/second/third letter and fill the answer according to the answer.

You can hide the equation question type or shown at the user for information if you want.

Think in equation you have to use:
if(test,"the text for test","")
with test something like that:
substr(QCODE,0,1) for the first letter, substr(QCODE,1,1) for the second etc ... (with QCODE the code of the first question).

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
11 years 3 months ago #90432 by Gabriela
Thanks, Id like to try anything. especially because other users are complaining on questions lenght (and that they dont match the diplaying form on paper)

Please, can you specify a little bit your example. Tried to do it on my own but no results.

Thanks again.
  • DenisChenu
More
11 years 3 months ago #90442 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic assign text to a numeric answer in the database

Gabriela wrote: Thanks, Id like to try anything. especially because other users are complaining on questions lenght (and that they dont match the diplaying form on paper)

I don't understand : why no use a list question type ?

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
11 years 3 months ago #90445 by Gabriela
hi, thanks.
Ill try to explain with an image: this is the test I have to construct with limesurvey:

I have to figure out how to build it as similar as posible...

Thanks a lot
  • tpartner
More
11 years 3 months ago #90474 by tpartner
I still think that to avoid input errors, multiple-options questions are the best bet despite the space required.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose