Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Separate Send from and Reply to email addresses

• kclingerman
  • kclingerman's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 1 month ago #193850 by kclingerman
Hello,

We are trying to find a way to have different emails for the sender and the reply-to address in our survey invitations. I have looked around on the forums, google, and in the Limesurvey UI and I haven't found what we need. Does anyone know how we can do this?

Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 1 month ago #193857 by jelo
A separate Reply-To field or a way to add such emailheader infos is not implemented.
Please open a feature request.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 1 month ago #193871 by holch
I am always wondering why people do this. Why would you separate the sender from the reply address? I guess there is a good reason, but in my little head I couldn't yet find a reason that really makes sense.

I always find it strange when I receive an email from someone and it says, please do not reply to this email. This is the worst case, receiving an emails with no Reply-to address at all.

Now if the reply-to adress is different to the sender address I also find it strange. Why not just send from the same address that we should reply to?

Maybe someone can enlighten me. ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• kclingerman
More
4 years 1 month ago #193877 by kclingerman
Replied by kclingerman on topic Separate Send from and Reply to email addresses
In our case we want to send the invitation email from a well known address(generic president of the university address president@example.edu) but we would like any replies to be sent to the survey administrator which is someone who would actually be able to assist with any questions about the survey.
  • holch
More
4 years 1 month ago #193881 by holch
Makes sense! I'd say this is a good use case, especially when you make it clear in the email.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• holch
More
4 years 1 month ago #193882 by holch
Even if you make a feature request, this might take forever to be implemented or actually might never make the cut (especially if no one sponsors such a feature).

Quick solution: get the survey links into a CSV/Excel and send the mail via a different tool that has more email features. I don't know if it has your specific feature, but I guess PHPList might have something like that. And from where the email has been sent isn't really relevant for LS, I guess.

• kclingerman
More
4 years 1 month ago #193885 by kclingerman
Yeah I have considered temporarily modifying the $customheaders variable in limesurvey/application/controllers/admin/tokens.php to include a Reply-To email header. Any idea if that might work? I will find some time to test it in the next couple days. Thank you for the suggestion to get a list of participants and their links and use a separate tool to deliver the email. If I can't get LimeSurvey to do it that will probably be my only option.
  • holch
More
4 years 1 month ago #193888 by holch
I am not a coding expert, so you will have to wait for someone with more experience in this field to weigh in.

Maybe Denis has a plugin for this. You never know...

www.sondages.pro/
gitlab.com/SondagesPro/mailing

More
4 years 1 month ago #193892 by cdorin
Though you can create the feature request and if it is requested + easy to be implemented, we may take it into account (in LS 4 :) ) .

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 1 month ago #193904 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Separate Send from and Reply to email addresses

cdorin wrote: Though you can create the feature request and if it is requested + easy to be implemented, we may take it into account (in LS 4 :) ) .

Please ...

Not a new setting used by only some people again and again ....

It's easily doable in plugin in 4.X, core plugin why not ... but not in all survey ... because really rarely needed

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • kclingerman
More
4 years 1 month ago #193965 by kclingerman
The quick hacky way to accomplish this was(in v4) to edit limesurvey/application/core/LimeMailer.php and add this line below line 219(as of 2/13/2020):
Code:
$this->addCustomHeader("Reply-To: email@domain.com");

Line 219 contains this:
Code:
$this->addCustomHeader("X-Surveymailer",Yii::app()->getConfig("sitename")." Emailer (LimeSurvey.org)");
in case anyone needs this in the future and the file has changed so line numbers aren't the same.

Obviously this will add the header to any emails sent from LimeSurvey so comment it out when you aren't using it.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 1 month ago #193970 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Separate Send from and Reply to email addresses

kclingerman wrote: ....
in case anyone needs this in the future and the file has changed so line numbers aren't the same.

Totally silly and stupid to update LimeSurvey core when a plugin can be really easy to do ...

You have sample here : github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/ma...ins/mailSenderToFrom

In function beforeEmail, just add
Code:
$limeMailer = $this->getEvent()->get('mailer');
$limeMailer->AddReplyTo('replyto@example.org', 'Reply to name');
And it's done ....

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose