Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Slider question with a time-limit

• Kaikelan_190010
  • Kaikelan_190010's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
4 years 11 months ago #183725 by Kaikelan_190010
Slider question with a time-limit was created by Kaikelan_190010
Hi,

I'm hoping to include in my survey a page with exactly one question with a slider input and a visible count-down timer. As the slider can be used only with a multiple numerical input -question type and time-limit can't be included with that question type, I tried to have a question group with two items: the question using a slider and a text display question with a time-limit. However, the time-limit doesn't work with that for some reason: the timer just won't show up and doesn't seem to have any functionality either. (This also might be a bug: bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=13602 )

Also, using a text input question type with a timer for the question group isn't really an option for this, the problem with that would be the visible text input field which I really wouldn't like to include in this particular page.

Would anyone have an idea on how to get around this?

I'm using (and would like to continue using) LimeSurvey online so I don't have any downloaded version. The survey is in group-by-group mode.

Thanks in advance!
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 11 months ago #183748 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Slider question with a time-limit
Since you already point out a bugticket, you might comment on that bugticket and add the version you use too. Timer seems to be not relevant to many users or developers. The bugticket is open over a year now without any reaction by any developer.
So what version of LimeSurvey do you use? And what do you mean by using LimeSurvey online? You are a customer of LimeSurvey Pro? If that is the case, you can open a support ticket too.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #183749 by juhohalonen
Replied by juhohalonen on topic Slider question with a time-limit
Original poster / thread starter here, this was meant to be posted from the same account, not a different one..

I guess I'm not that familiar with LimeSurvey and the possibly existing principles with bugs. I just thought this would be the right place to ask for help for conducting surveys with LimeSurvey :) Hopefully everything's ok.

Yes, by online I meant LimeSurvey Pro, wasn't very clear with the terms. I have now contacted the LimeSurvey support about this issue.

If however someone has an idea related to the timer-and-slider level stuff, I guess it wouldn't hurt to express that here as well.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by juhohalonen.
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #183786 by cdorin
Replied by cdorin on topic Slider question with a time-limit
Hello there,

Please check the attached example. I used a long free text question instead where I hid the input area. I added in the question editor some rudimentary/simple css code:

<style type="text/css">#inputid
{
display:none;
}
</style>

To find your input id, right click on the input area -> inspect elements -> look for the id of that input text area in the console -> hide it as I did in my example.

Please note that the preview mode is quite buggy when it comes to the usage of timers (saw it only now; the timer continues from the moment it stopped if you preview multiple times that question - I will create a bug report about that). However, everything should be fine in the live version.

Hope this workaround helps you till the devs and community members solve the text-display-related bug.

Manual: manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_Manual
Bugs tracker: bugs.limesurvey.org/my_view_page.php
If you self-host and need help, contact one of our partners: limesurvey.com
Please do not contact me via PM - thank you.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by cdorin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kaikelan_190010
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #183813 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Slider question with a time-limit
Good idea to use a hidden question of a type that allows a time limit.

[strike]Couldn't you just give the question a special class in the advanced settings of the question to hide it?[/strike]

Thinking again, this would probably hide the whole question and thus the counter wouldn't be shown.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 11 months ago #183817 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Slider question with a time-limit
@cdorin :

#inputid can be replaced by #answer{SGQ} inside question text, or #answer{QCODE.sgq} in another question text.

Alternative (to be tested) : add boilerplate to Class name ? Must work on core theme.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdorin
  • Kaikelan_190010
  • Kaikelan_190010's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
4 years 11 months ago #184027 by Kaikelan_190010
Replied by Kaikelan_190010 on topic Slider question with a time-limit

cdorin wrote: Hello there,

Please check the attached example. I used a long free text question instead where I hid the input area. I added in the question editor some rudimentary/simple css code:

<style type="text/css">#inputid
{
display:none;
}
</style>

To find your input id, right click on the input area -> inspect elements -> look for the id of that input text area in the console -> hide it as I did in my example.

Please note that the preview mode is quite buggy when it comes to the usage of timers (saw it only now; the timer continues from the moment it stopped if you preview multiple times that question - I will create a bug report about that). However, everything should be fine in the live version.

Hope this workaround helps you till the devs and community members solve the text-display-related bug.

Hi!

Thank you, this seems to work nicely!

Also, using #answer{SGQ} instead of #inputid works identically at least in my understanding. This way you don't have to search for the specific input id, which is easier if you're not immediately sure where/how to look for.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose