Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Nested questionnaires

• cmhhansen
  • cmhhansen's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 11 months ago #183201 by cmhhansen
Nested questionnaires was created by cmhhansen
Is it possible to have nested questionnaires? For example, running a household survey I might have a single household questionnaire which lists all individuals found, among other things. Then, a personal form would be created for each eligible individual enumerated in the dwelling form, with some information provided in the dwelling form pre-entered... or at least not re-asked if already present in the dwelling form.

I'm not entirely convinced this is a good way to run a collection, but we do this with our existing tool, so any alternative we consider might need to have this functionality.

Cheers
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 11 months ago #183202 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Nested questionnaires
As far as I understand, this is not a nested questionnaire - you do not return to the general household questionnaire, but a 1:n relation.
Well, depends a bit of the amount of questions and the maximum amount of individuals.
First:
LS doesn't support loops, so the easiest way is to create as many of the individual questionnaire as groups as the maximum expected number of individuals.
Then you can display these groups be relevance.
If there is a lot of questions like arrays or multiple questions, you might get in trouble because of the length limit of MySQL.

Second:
Create a master questionnaire for the household and ar the end link to a child questionnaire.
This child questinnaires asks for one individual and at the end links to itself to ask for the next.
You just have to pass the needed parameters to be able to merge the data (best by {SAVEDID}) and to stop the child questionnaire.

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 11 months ago #183252 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Nested questionnaires

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
4 years 11 months ago #183256 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Nested questionnaires

cmhhansen wrote: but we do this with our existing tool, so any alternative we consider might need to have this functionality.

What tool is used currently?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose