Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Include mandatory link clicks in survey questions

• AnniLi
  • AnniLi's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago #180057 by AnniLi
Hi LimeSurvey Community!

Can I make a link click to a website mandatory?

I need my participants to view a couple of websites before continuing with my survey. I have already included the links in the question content but ideally I would like them not to be able to move on to the next question if the links have not been clicked... (the icing on the cake would be to know how much time they actually spend on the external links :silly: )

I appreciate any advice B)
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 1 month ago #180082 by holch
With Javascript you should be able to identify if a link was clicked or not. Let's see if one of the Javascript Experts here will come up with something.

But to know how long they have been on the website I think is basically impossible.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
5 years 1 month ago #180088 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Include mandatory link clicks in survey questions
I doing it with a very old version of limesurvey :
User see the website in iframe
The question was : find this button
With javascript : tracking the click inside iframe.

But the survey and the website are on same domain (else security of browser disable all tracking part).

It take me a long long time …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
5 years 1 month ago #180094 by holch
Yea, if the same domain, things are easier. Now I assumed that those are external websites to be opened. But who knows.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• tpartner
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #180134 by tpartner
In several surveys, I have used the window.postMessage() method to record clicks and other actions in an iframe sourced on a remote server. This works around cross-origin issues.

- developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/postMessage

Basically, you program events in the iframe that trigger messages to the top frame. These can then be detected and used to manipulate the survey elements.

The only caveate is that you have to have access to the source of the iframe to load those events.

In most of my use-cases, we were asking for feedback on app prototypes loaded in iframes so we had the prototype developers insert the message events for us.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by tpartner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose