Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Mandatory comments input if answer equals . ..

• kylekeenan
  • kylekeenan's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #152648 by kylekeenan
Hi,

So creating my first Lime Survey survey - i really enjoy the complexity of it. Should meet all of my needs.
I have a comments section after each of my likert scale questions. I want to make the Comments question mandatory if the answer to the previous question is below X.

Currently I am able to have one comment box that shows up always and can be skipped. Which I can't seem to get to hide. Then if the answer to the likert scale question is below X then the mandatory comments box shows up. I'd like to be able to do this with one comments box:

So if answer to question 1 is 7, 6, or 0 then comments can be skipped. If answer to question 1 is 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 then the comments is mandatory.

If I could hide the first comments box and have either comments box show up based on answer that would be ideal.

Thoughts?
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #152662 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Mandatory comments input if answer equals . ..

If I could hide the first comments box and have either comments box show up based on answer that would be ideal.

This should be easy to accomplish with relevance - manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...ation.2FBranching.29 .

Assuming question 1 is an array type question with code "Q1" and one sub-question with code SQ001, the relevance for the non-mandatory comments would be:
Code:
Q1_SQ001 < 1 OR Q1_SQ001 > 5

The relevance for the mandatory comments would be:
Code:
Q1_SQ001 > 0 AND Q1_SQ001 < 6

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by tpartner.
  • kylekeenan
  • kylekeenan's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #152666 by kylekeenan
Replied by kylekeenan on topic Mandatory comments input if answer equals . ..
Hi, thank you for the feedback. The question is actually a dropdown menu so the comments in another question.

So I need to make that Comments question mandatory based on answers in question 1.
Thanks,
  • tpartner
More
6 years 11 months ago #152667 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Mandatory comments input if answer equals . ..
In that case, you just need to change the variable names. Please refer to the manual - manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager#Access_to_Variables

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose