Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Export questionnaire text and logic to file

• TheChymera
  • TheChymera's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #149123 by TheChymera
Is it possible to export a questionnaire to an XML/JSON/whatever file? Ideally I would like this file to contain nothing but the text and logic of the questionnaire.

The specific use case is that I would like to reposit and track this file together with the data analysis for the project, so that people could easily download and deploy the questionnaire to their own servers.

It would be even better if this could be done using a format/standard which is understood by other survey software as well - this would make questionnaires much more portable.

Is there such a standard?
Does LimeSurvey have such an export feature?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 1 month ago #149129 by holch
You have various export options. The most common one being the .lss file, which is actually a XML file and contains exactly what you need: Questions (type, text, answer, options) and the survey logic, like groups, quota, etc.

Unfortunately, this is a Limesurvey format and is not compatible with other survey tools. But while I think it would be great if one day all survey tools would provide a standard import that makes questionnaires interchangable, I don't think this will ever happen. Proprietary tools usually have very little interest in having such a standard exchange format and it would also be extremely complicated, because feature sets differ greatly and even the same features often are setup differently.

But the .lss file will work with all Limesurvey installation (at least the recent ones).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #149136 by jelo

TheChymera wrote: It would be even better if this could be done using a format/standard which is understood by other survey software as well - this would make questionnaires much more portable.
Is there such a standard?
Does LimeSurvey have such an export feature?

The only standard for surveys I know is TripleS. It came a long way.
www.triple-s.org/software/implementers/

There is a plugin for LimeSurvey around TripleS.
www.limesurvey.org/de/foren/plugins/1078...interchange-standard

Currently supporting Export for the versions XML 2.0, XML 1.2 of TripleS.
No import into LimeSurvey.

It's from the jack of all trades of LimeSurvey: DenisChenu

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by jelo.
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #149137 by holch
Thank you very much for the valuable addition. Always wondered what that triple-s plugin was for... ;-)

There are actually quite a few important survey tools that have it. Not bad. Would not have expected this.

Voxco, Confirmit, TESI, Sphinx, Rogator, Nipo, Nebu, IBM SPSS, Globalpark (not sure if this is very up to date if they still list globalpark), Excavo, Decipher (FocusVision), Askia, CfMC, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• TheChymera
  • TheChymera's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #149173 by TheChymera
Replied by TheChymera on topic Export questionnaire text and logic to file
> No import into LimeSurvey

What do you mean by this? does LimeSurvey not support impot at all? or just not from XML 2.0 and TripleS ?
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #149175 by holch

Currently supporting Export for the versions XML 2.0, XML 1.2 of TripleS.
No import into LimeSurvey.

If you read the sentence in the context, it is pretty clear, isn't it?

There is a plugin that allows to export into the TripleS format, but you can't import triple S into Limesurvey.

I have mentioned already that you can export and import the .lss format in Limesurvey.

• DenisChenu
More
7 years 1 month ago #149253 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Export questionnaire text and logic to file
TSV export/import system is great too and work really good, i really use it a lot manual.limesurvey.org/Tab_Separated_Value_Survey_Structure

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose