Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Access survey through readable url?

• simonhanmer
  • simonhanmer's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #147955 by simonhanmer
Access survey through readable url? was created by simonhanmer
Apologies - I'm sure this is covered in the documentation and I'm just missing it.

We're about ready to go live with our first survey, but rather than accessing it through https://<baseurl>/index.php/<number>, is it possible to share a url which is more memorable and 'human-friendly'. So for example instead of accessing examplesite.com/index.php/23491 it would be nice to access examplesite.com/customerratings ?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 2 months ago #147956 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Access survey through readable url?
What is not "readable" about the current URL??? ;-)

But I know what you mean. There is no option in Limesurvey to do this. You need to do this via a redirect via .htaccess or similar.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: simonhanmer
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #147977 by Deusdeorum
Replied by Deusdeorum on topic Access survey through readable url?
What if you just create a simple redirect for your survey? So typing "examplesite.com/customerratings" in your browser just redirects you to your "https://<baseurl>/index.php/<number>". This is simple if the survey doesn't use tokens, if it uses tokens you would have to handle the tokens somehow, one way is to create a input field in your "examplesite.com/customerratings" where people can enter their token, or take advantage of some back end framework and create a redirect with URL paramaters, so entering "examplesite.com/customerratings/abc123" will redirect you to your "https://<baseurl>/index.php/<number>/token/abc123".

Just some thoughts, maybe you can customize your LS URL somehow that i don't know of!
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Deusdeorum.
  • simonhanmer
More
7 years 2 months ago #147978 by simonhanmer
Replied by simonhanmer on topic Access survey through readable url?
This is relatively straightforward if you've got access to the server (luckily I have), but does feel like something that should be included functionality :)
  • holch
  • Away
More
7 years 2 months ago #147983 by holch

simonhanmer wrote: This is relatively straightforward if you've got access to the server (luckily I have), but does feel like something that should be included functionality :)

Feel free to contribute or sponsor such a feature. ;-)

There are loads of great feature ideas that should be included into Limesurvey but unfortunately resources are scarces and not everything can be implemented.

Remember, this is an open source survey tool that you can install for free on your server. And the success of such a tool highly depends on the community and the users giving back to the tool, in form of code contributions, bug solving, translating, helping in the forums, sponsor features/plugins, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• simonhanmer
More
7 years 2 months ago #147984 by simonhanmer
Replied by simonhanmer on topic Access survey through readable url?
Apologies if my comment sounded scornful - I realise that this is an open source product and that my comment doesn't add value :).

I'm time-short at the moment, but cost dependent I might be able to sponsor that. Is there a link to how sponsorship works on the website anywhere (I've done a search at limesurvey.org) but couldn't find anything.
  • holch
  • Away
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #147986 by holch
No problem, I know how things go. And I agree that it would be a nice feature to have. Not a top priority though I think, because one can solve this relatively easy on the server level. And if your LS install is in a subfolder, you probably can't create an URL on the toplevel anyway.

But your comment basically asked for such a response. :-)

Sponsorship is not very well organized. What you can do is to get in touch with one of the developers or professional partners. The user Denis ( www.limesurvey.org/profile/1161-denischenu ) for example is a long standing contributor to Limesurvey and is currently creating loads of great plugins, I am sure he'll be able to create something like this. You can probably reach him the quickest here: www.limesurvey.org/profile/emailuser?uid=1161 or there www.sondages.pro/

Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose