Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

unexplained deleted surveys (2.05+)

• alucking
  • alucking's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #111420 by alucking
unexplained deleted surveys (2.05+) was created by alucking
Hi all,

We've been using various versions of Limesurvey for a number of years now recently made the move to version 2.05+. In doing so we went with a fresh install (rather than upgrade) and took the opportunity to revamp our surveys will rebuilding them in 2.05.

In that process we have now experienced two cases where surveys were deleted without specific delete actions being taken. In once case, we were editing a question when a php error was presented and then the survey went missing.

The most recent case seems to have been more random in that no one was actively editing a survey when it seems to have gone missing.

In both cases, there was not trace of the survey in the database, no survey, responses etc.

Impact was low as we have a fairly solid backup and recovery plan in place but we have been unable to narrow down the root cause.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced something similar (unexplained deleted surveys)? Any further clues as to cause etc.

thanks!

Andrew
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 7 months ago #111422 by holch
Replied by holch on topic unexplained deleted surveys (2.05+)
I haven't read or heard of such a thing in the forum yet (which doesn't mean it can't exist, just that it doesn't seem to be a common / known problem).

It will be quite difficult to follow up in this problem I guess, as you seem to have little to know hints on what could have happened.

Let's see if someone else experienced this before.

You might want to add a bug report, but then, with little to know information, it will be hard to reproduce. Not sure what could be done.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• alucking
  • alucking's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago #111424 by alucking
Replied by alucking on topic unexplained deleted surveys (2.05+)
thanks for the response. I agree, with such little information to go on, I do not feel a bug report will go very far.

We've enabled more detailed logging on the server and made a few user permission changes (no users have survey delete permissions) so should get more helpful diagnostics should it reoccur. Your feedback that you haven't come across it in the forums to date is helpful. With us having experienced it twice in a period of 3 months, I would think someone else would have seen it...

thanks!
  • holch
More
9 years 7 months ago #111429 by holch
Replied by holch on topic unexplained deleted surveys (2.05+)
Well, I am not all the time on the forum, so other occurencies might have slipped through. But to be honest, if there would be a bug with this problem, chances are very hight that this would come up here all the time.

But then, a bug report might get the developers alerted. Because if this is a bug, it is major one. Deleting surveys randomly would be a big deal.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose