Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Intermittent problems when browsing the admin pages

• lenakun
  • lenakun's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #111242 by lenakun
I have installed LimeSurvey on Hostinger via Hostinger's autoinstaller, and I have intermittent issues with the administration pages. When trying to access the authentication page or when I'm working with my survey, making changes and saving and so on, I sometimes get this message:

"Your system folder path does not appear to be set correctly. Please open the following file and correct this: index.php".

This messagge appears randomly on the operations I do. Most of the time it doesn't, and when it does, if I click the page reload browser button I generally get the right page and my changes are saved. Sometimes it gets two or three reloadings to get it right, though.

Also, sometimes it gives a different message: No input file.

Some other times there are messages related to php functions. In all cases all I have to do is reload the page. It's a bit annoying, but what worries me most is that my survey users have the same problem (and sometimes they do - and since they are not computers experts they are likely to just close the browser... and I don't want to lose participants for my Ph.D research!!!).

Does anybody know how to solve this? It appears to me that there is no real problem with the path or the files since 70% of the time it works correctly.

Thanks a lot!!! :) :) :) :)
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by lenakun. Reason: Orthographic errors.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 7 months ago #111249 by DenisChenu

lenakun wrote: I have installed LimeSurvey on Hostinger via Hostinger's autoinstaller,

I think you must contact Hostinger.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • lenakun
More
9 years 7 months ago #111255 by lenakun
Thank you for your quick reply!!

Yes, I did that in the first place, but they told me to contact you since it's not their application. They just get your files and put them in the folder...

Is there anything I can do without depending on them?? I'd like to solve this and I don't want to feel like in The Twelve Tasks of Asterix, being sent from one place to another - that's kind of frustrating...

So if there's something I can do I don't know, a test, or modify a file... That'd be most helpful.
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 7 months ago #111277 by DenisChenu
Hi lenakun,

I never see this problem on this forum, and don't have this problem.

We can not know Hostinger hosting service.

Can you :
1 : Ask to Hostinger the apache error log
2 : Export/print in PDF the phpinfo (you can see it in Gloabl setings)

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
The following user(s) said Thank You: lenakun
  • lenakun
More
9 years 7 months ago #111286 by lenakun
Thank you so much for your assistance.

I attatch de PhpInfo PDF. As for the apache error log we'll have to wait until Hostinger replies to me.
  • holch
More
9 years 7 months ago #111291 by holch
I would guess it is a problem on there side (those autoinstallers never just take the files and put them in the folder). There is a installation process involved.

However, installing Limesurvey from scratch has become so easy that I think you could give it a try. I would always try to install a clean Limesurvey. Try it, it is quite easy.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
9 years 7 months ago #111294 by DenisChenu
No phpinfo too ;)

• lenakun
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #111301 by lenakun
That's weird. I've attached the file twice. I clicked the Insert button. It took a while to upload it, I saw in the status bar how the uploaded percentage went up. But no file appears on my post after submitting it!! Here it goes again - I hope it works.

Edit: finally, it worked!

File Attachment:

File Name: InfoPHP.pdf
File Size:259 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by lenakun. Reason: More info
  • lenakun
More
9 years 7 months ago #111302 by lenakun
Yeah, I guess I could try and fresh install it but my surveys are ongoing and with a fresh installation I would have to change the survey link - and I can't do that. Nevertheless, I shall try a fresh install on another folder to check if it works, but I'd need to fix the problem on my current surveys folder...
  • holch
More
9 years 7 months ago #111304 by holch
So the problem only occured after a while? Or did you start various surveys despite the problem?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• lenakun
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #111305 by lenakun
I started them despite the problem... I thought I'd just happen on my admin pages, not to the actual users...

I've just tried a fresh install. It was sucessfull. But when I entered my login and password I got this message:

Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/u472518717/public_html/cuestionarios/framework) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/u581810840:/tmp:/var/tmp:/opt/php-5.3/pear) in /home/u472518717/public_html/cuestionarios/index.php on line 93

Warning: is_dir() [function.is-dir]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(framework/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/u581810840:/tmp:/var/tmp:/opt/php-5.3/pear) in /home/u472518717/public_html/cuestionarios/index.php on line 102
Your system folder path does not appear to be set correctly. Please open the following file and correct this: index.php

Then I reloaded the page and I got this:

Your system folder path does not appear to be set correctly. Please open the following file and correct this: index.php

I reloaded and got that once more. The next time the usual admin page appeared without further errors. I guess it's not the autoinstaller problem, then. It's not that there is a problem with the path, either, because when I reload at a point it solves...

So what now? :dry: :dry:

EDIT: I've been trying ir for 15 minutes. Every now and then, while I'm importing labels and surveys and doing stuff, I get those two messages. Sometimes several times in a row :S
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by lenakun. Reason: Updated info
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #111307 by DenisChenu

lenakun wrote: Warning: realpath() [function.realpath]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/u472518717/public_html/cuestionarios/framework) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/u581810840:/tmp:/var/tmp:/opt/php-5.3/pear) in /home/u472518717/public_html/cuestionarios/index.php on line 93

It's clearly an installation/server problem here ... php.net/manual/es/ini.core.php#ini.open-basedir

The limesurvey directory are like this:
./application
./framework
./A lot of directory

In the index, we just need to know where is the framework dir. The framework dir is in the same directory than the index.php file. I think hostinger try to make an autoinstaller where some files are shared betwwen different users. The sahred files are on /home/u472518717 with a symbolic link.

You can look at the limesurvey directory if you have ./framework : if not : the autoinstaller are broken.
If yes : hostinger made error somewhere on the user : you need to contact them with this info.

BUT:
you can install a new limesurvey instance without the auto installer and keep your database.
1) Look at ./application/config/config.php for DB information : you have something like this :
Code:
'components' => array(
    'db' => array(
      'connectionString' => 'mysql:host=localhost;port=3306;dbname=thedbnale;',
      'emulatePrepare' => true,
      'username' => 'theuser',
      'password' => 'thepassword',
      'charset' => 'utf8',
      'tablePrefix' => 'prefix_',
    ),
2) Keep this information on a paper
3) remove whole files (except ./upload : rename it to ./upload-bak )
4) put whole LimeSurvey officiel release file in the same directory
5) Open yourursl.example.org/limesurvey/
6) when choosing DB : put the information from the paper.

You can do a test on another directory before replace auto-installer files.

Denis

Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by DenisChenu.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose