Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Error that eventually locks me out of my server

Error that eventually locks me out of my server 7 months 2 weeks ago #106054

• rjm972
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi all,

I'm not sure whether this is a LimeSurvey issue or a webhosting issue. I'm hoping that someone can help.

The error log in my website records the following error when I try to use LimeSurvey:

[Fri Mar 07 18:33:44 2014] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xx] File does not exist: /home/user/public_html/406.shtml, referer: www.example.com/lime/index.php/admin/survey/sa/index

[Fri Mar 07 18:33:44 2014] [crit] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xx] (13)Permission denied: /home/user/public_html/admin/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable, referer: www.example.com/lime/admin/

LimeSurvey works great for a while, but after enough of these "attempts," my ip address gets locked out of my webhosting provider entirely. The only solution is to call tech support and ask them to unblock my ip address.

FYI, the /home/user/public_html/admin folder exists on the system, but it's empty. There is no .htaccess file in it. Should there be?

Can someone explain what might be happening here?

Thank you!
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by DenisChenu. Reason: Allways use example.com/net for example : done for this
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Error that eventually locks me out of my server 7 months 2 weeks ago #106055

• amit
  • Fresh Lemon
Hey!
Not sure about the exact reason of your problem but it sounds strange. However, can you try editing /application/config/config.php and set
'urlFormat' => 'path',
to
'urlFormat' => 'get',
as described here

Checkout this thread as well.

Btw which hosting provider do you use ?

--
cheers
amit

Error that eventually locks me out of my server 7 months 2 weeks ago #106071

• rjm972
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you for your reply!

Changing 'path' to 'get' didn't work - I was unable to access the admin login page at all.

My hosting provider is Canadian Web Hossting (www.canadianwebhosting.com).

Cheers!
Rob

Error that eventually locks me out of my server 7 months 2 weeks ago #106076

• DenisChenu
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 840
/home/user/public_html/406.shtml ! it's not LimeSyrcey related, i think you host goes to the bad directory.

Denis

Error that eventually locks me out of my server 7 months 1 week ago #106095

• rjm972
  • Fresh Lemon
The issue is that LimeSurvey is trying to access the following file:

/home/user/public_html/admin/.htaccess

That file does not exist, so a 406 error is triggered. Users can create custom error message pages (like a custom 404 error page) by creating a .shtml file (e.g., 404.shtml or 406.shtml). If no custom error page exists, a system default page is used but a file not found error is triggered anyway.

So the real question becomes, why is LimeSurvey looking for the .htaccess file above? Does anyone know? It searches for this file hundreds of times when I'm logged into the program. Every LimeSurvey page, question group, question item, etc., I click on generates this error. Eventually, enough errors are generated that I get locked out of my webhosting provider.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be really grateful!

Thanks,
Rob
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Donation Image