Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Possible Survey Timeout issue

Possible Survey Timeout issue 11 months 3 weeks ago #102259

• jjxice46
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello, I have a bit of a weird issue with Limesurvey that i dont think is limesruvey itself but i am trying to narrow down what could be causing it.

THe problem is we have some surveys that are pretty long, and sometimes i recieve complaints that a person takes awhile to fill a sruvey out and submits it, Limesurvey says it is submitted, however, there are no responses stored in the database.

I belive the issue has something to do with limesurvey timeing out but i can not find out where exactly,

Currently i have bumped up the Session lifetime to 144000

and the session.gc_maxlifetime in php to 12000

however this does not seem to fix the issue completely.

Is there anything i may be missing?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Possible Survey Timeout issue 11 months 3 weeks ago #102265

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 380
Do you have a very long question on one page only?

Because the session time out should only be a problem when there is no action for a very long time. As far as I understand, if a users moves to the next page, the session time should start again.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Possible Survey Timeout issue 11 months 3 weeks ago #102267

• jjxice46
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes sir, that actually is exactly what we have.

It mainly seems to happen on one survey that is very long and is all one one page. the reason we did this was because the people who take the surveys did not like having to go from page to page (the survey is actually more of a form we use for quality call monitoring that supervisors fill out so they liked having the questions all on one page so they can go back and forth)

is there any setting that i can look at trying to adjust to resolve this? or would the best course of action be to make it a multi page survey?

Possible Survey Timeout issue 11 months 3 weeks ago #102271

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 380
The problem with the all on one page aproach is, that if something goes wrong, nothing is written to the database (which only happens on sending the form or on moving to the next page in case of multipage surveys).

I don't know if this is your problem, but I usually recommend to not have so long pages, also for usuability reasons. But you say that it is the preference of your users, so I guess tests are different. ;-)

I am not sure if you can do anything about that, I am not an expert on server configuration, so I can't tell you which settings to change to avoid to be kicked out by the session (if this is the case of the problem).
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Possible Survey Timeout issue 11 months 3 weeks ago #102280

• jjxice46
  • Fresh Lemon
Thats what i thought.

Ill try to see if i can convince them to move the survey to a group by group question or something to that it will give a balance of not having to click next 100 times while still preventing the timeout issue.

Thanks for your help :)
Last Edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by jjxice46. Reason: spelling errors

Possible Survey Timeout issue 11 months 2 weeks ago #102377

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 869
Hi,

Session life time and issue is more a server issue here. Maybe you can set a longer session life time inb php.ini, .htaccess or vhost config.

Denis
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
Donation Image