Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #95827

• Graham
  • Fresh Lemon
again excuse a newbie type question is there any way of editing a survey for example to change the position of a comment box. or alternatively is there anyway of export the entire survey stucture so it can be loaded into for example expression web so it can be edited.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #95991

• ohvelma
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
If it is an active survey, and you have a token table, you should also export the token table as well as any responses BEFORE you follow these steps.

To export a survey:
  • Select the survey you wish to export from the surveys list, regardless whether it is active or not.
  • Click the icon for "Display / Export" from the Survey menu bar (hover over icons to find it.)
  • Select Export -- Survey Structure
  • Deactivate the Survey
  • Modify the position of the question*

* Modification of the question position is different in different LimeSurvey versions. If you are using 2.0+ there is an icon on the Survey menu bar that looks like a directory structure that you use to reorder questions. For earlier versions under "Survey Properties" on the Survey Menu bar you can reorder groups, but you need to go to the group bar to find the icon "Change question order"

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #96246

• bebs
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 2
From your question think you want to change the layout of your survey, and not the sequence or type of answers.

Therefore you should look at the template editor, it allows for duplicating a template, editing and exporting the (graphical) template as a zip that you can then extract and edit with "expression web" or any html editor.

I'd recommand to edit your template directly from withing limesurvey template editor as it will nicely integrate with the various placeholders limesurvey uses.

HTML & CSS knowledge is recommended for editing a template. Changing the location of a comment box can usually be achieved by changing a little bit of the CSS code.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by bebs. Reason: +explanation

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #96264

• Graham
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks very much for your reply I have found the template editor and had a look at it unfortunately I have a basic knowledge of this and despite knowing what the box was called could not find it to edit it's position , even someone with way more HTML and CCS than me could not find it either. So we are a bit stuck at the moment. More reading on the horizon by the looks of it.

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #96273

• bebs
  • Senior Lime
what is the template you're currently using (if it's a default one of LimeSurvey), the type of question you'd like to move the comment from and where would you like the comment block to show? (a screenshot would help).

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #96291

• Graham
  • Fresh Lemon
thisiswhatitlookslike.JPG

thisiswhatitlookslike.JPG

the template that I am using is Vallendar you will see from the first screen shot "this is what it looks like" the comment box is over to the right of the page and large.
in the second screen shot "this is what I want it to look like" I have moved the comment box under the radio buttons and it is smaller. I know exactly what I have to do to make it look like this (as you can see from the screen shot) but the only way I have been able to do this is to "save page as" in preview mode and edit the code from there, which is fine but of course I have no way of "plugging" that page back into the survey. ( hope this makes sense) if can you point me to the correct place to make the changes that would be great.
thank you for your time looking at this

thisiswhatIwantittolooklike.JPG
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Graham.

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #96292

• bebs
  • Senior Lime
you should
  1. open the limesurvey template editor
  2. select vallendar template and make a copy of it, that you can modify.
  3. edit "template.css" file in your new template:
    • remove "float:left" for .list-with-comment p.comment (line 819) will put the comment below the question options
    • remove "width:100%" for .list-with-comment p.comment textarea (line 827) to have a smaller comment box (horizontally)
    • add .list-with-comment p.comment label {display:none} to hide the "please enter your comment here" label
  4. apply this new template to your survey

Changing the (vertical) size of the comment box to have it smaller is more work, as it's hard-coded in limesurvey. If you're familiar with jquery you may achieve it using something like $(".list-with-comment p.comment textarea").attr("rows","1"); ... but it is even more advanced and requires further reading too ;)$

Tip: use the "Inspect" function of your browser (firefox / chrome recommended) to directly find what line to edit in your css.

good luck.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by bebs. Reason: typo

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #96298

• Graham
  • Fresh Lemon
That is brilliant thank you very much for your time and effort to answer my question

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #96299

• de_chris
  • Fresh Lemon
Just one hint: in case of changing a template do not create now folders in the template folder

Sorry for hijacking but I seam to have trouble creating new issues. The menubar from above on this page won't let me open any page but Index and Search. I'm always getting an redirection error. Maybe a problem with seo urls. How did you manage to create a new issue?
I wanted to create a new topic to ask if there is a problem with the editor. It seams to insert characters it self just can't handle. In my case it replaces > with > which is ok and also state in the doc but it seams also to insert a linebreak "
" after an <br> which it corrects to </ br>. This breaks the EM at least in my case. Could have been also a problem with notepad++.
Edit: The editor insert these characters also after <div>, <p>,...
Deleting these linebreaks seams to solve the problem.
Took me hours to find the problem :woohoo:
Maybe I also should mention that I'm using the source code mode.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by de_chris.

Is there anyway to edit a created survey or export the entire survey 1 year 3 months ago #96300

• Graham
  • Fresh Lemon
have you actually logged into the forum? you have to have an account to be able to post things
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Donation Image