Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: import of questions starting from LibO Calc / MS Excel or WORD/WRITER

import of questions starting from LibO Calc / MS Excel or WORD/WRITER 1 year 6 months ago #93893

• ROSt52
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
Is there a way to create a survey (groups and questions only) in a spreadsheet and converting this to an lss-file for import?

Any other idea is welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for your help
The administrator has disabled public write access.

import of questions starting from LibO Calc / MS Excel or WORD/WRITER 1 year 6 months ago #93901

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 817
Look at tsv import export feature.

TSV: Tab Separated Value
Named excel in documentation, but it's a bad name
docs.limesurvey.org/Excel+Survey+Structure

import of questions starting from LibO Calc / MS Excel or WORD/WRITER 1 year 6 months ago #93907

• ROSt52
  • Senior Lime
Thanks a lot for this very interesting information. I will now upgrade and test!

import of questions starting from LibO Calc / MS Excel or WORD/WRITER 1 year 1 month ago #98310

• ROSt52
  • Senior Lime
Dear Denis,

Again thanks for your hints a while ago.

I upgraded to Version 2.00+ Build 130406

To understand how I have to import questions, I created a small survey (base language = Japanese) which works nice.

This survey I exported as a tab separated file which comes with the extension txt. As import requires a Tab separated file with extension csv, I just renamed the extension.

Next, I created a new survey (base language = Japanese). When I needed to add the first question group I selected import question group. Required file is csv extension but from the manual I understand it must be a tab separated content.

When I upload the file I get the error message: "You can't import a group which doesn't support at least the survey base language."

In both surveys I have the same base language = Japanese.

I appreciate any help as I need to import sooner a large survey.

import of questions starting from LibO Calc / MS Excel or WORD/WRITER 1 year 1 month ago #98311

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
ROSt52 wrote:
This survey I exported as a tab separated file which comes with the extension txt. As import requires a Tab separated file with extension csv, I just renamed the extension.
This will not work. You can't change the internal file structure by just changing the file extension.

Generally, the Excel survey import feature work for whole surveys only. For importing questions or question groups, Limesurvey uses in internal, XML based file structure (.LSQ and .LSG files).

The error message seems to be a little misleading.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

import of questions starting from LibO Calc / MS Excel or WORD/WRITER 1 year 1 month ago #98358

• ROSt52
  • Senior Lime
Hi Mazi,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was afraid that something like this applies.

If I now want to translate questions (eg. English to Japanese), How can I import the questions in Japanese?

When I want to create a new question group there is the possibility to import a group (or even groups???) How can I do this?

And then the same applies for questions. How can I import questions? What is the data structure needed and format needed for such an import?
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
Donation Image