Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Email notifications no longer being received (or delivered?)

Email notifications no longer being received (or delivered?) 1 year 8 months ago #92501

• sir_timbit
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi there, I'm brand new to LimeSurvey and have inherited a LimeSurvey 1.72 server that's been running without issue for a good three years or so. Until now. In the past week or two, we've discovered that email notifications are no longer being delivered. (Or at the very least, they're not showing up in the inbox in charge of the survey!)
I'm not aware of any changes to our MS Exchange settings that could be blocking things.

This is LimeSurvey 1.72 running on OpenSUSE 11.1 Linux kernel 2.6.27.7-9. From what I've read here, this is old enough that I have to check the settings in config.php, etc. But I can't find anything that would be related to our email server. I've been looking online here but I'm not having much luck finding settings on older versions of LimeSurvey, and I'd rather not upgrade to 2.0 until I can fix this problem first.

When I log on as admin to our LS, I can see the test submissions I entered are listed when I browse results.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,
Sir_timbit
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by sir_timbit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Email notifications no longer being received (or delivered?) 1 year 8 months ago #92504

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 360
Wow, a 1.72 in the wild. Now I know how those guys must have felt, that found the Coelacanth to be still alive... ;-)

I thought that thing would have been extinct for many years now.

To be honest, it is not really possible to provide help with an installation that is this old. Currently the support for 1.9x is going to be more and more difficult already. As there haven't been any updates for quite a few years now, this installation might also have quite a few security issues. I would strongly recommend to move on to LS 2.0. I also wouldn't "upgrade" but make a clean install instead, because there have been many, many changes since back then and you will also be surprised how much better LS has become.

Without being able to have a look into the backend of LS 1.72 I can only guess.

Usually you should find options for sending emails in the backend of LS. However, what sounds strange that it worked all the time and suddenly stopped. There must have been some changes either to the installation or the the server, otherwise it can't really be explained why it should suddenly stop.

In the newer versions in "Global settings" there is an option for "email settings". Check if you can find something like this.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by holch.

Re: Email notifications no longer being received (or delivered?) 1 year 8 months ago #92506

• sir_timbit
  • Fresh Lemon
LOL, I was afraid I was going to get an answer like that.

As mentioned, I can view the results of the submitted surveys. I just can't figure out why it stopped emailing them a few weeks back. I can always email/print out the surveys that weren't received, shut this old beastie down, and build a new one.

Still can't figure out where the particular email settings would be. When I run the LS basic diagnostics, no errors are reported either. Very strange.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by sir_timbit.

Re: Email notifications no longer being received (or delivered?) 1 year 8 months ago #92511

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 360
You should be able to download the results to a CSV file. Wouldn't that be more comfortable?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Email notifications no longer being received (or delivered?) 1 year 8 months ago #92516

• sir_timbit
  • Fresh Lemon
Just discovered that after my last post! Thanks. :-)
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds
Donation Image