Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements

Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements 1 year 10 months ago #89236

• ewohwerd
  • Fresh Lemon
Forgive any existing articles that might be an oversight here.

I recently installed limesurvey via a cpanel tool on a site that is also running wordpress. I can get more technical details but that's about all I can comprehend on my own at this point.

If I leave the inline html editor enabled, any time I try to submit a page (for instance, the main survey text fields settings for description, welcome message, etc.), clicking submit results in a redirect to my site's top directory, and the page is not submitted correctly.

I turned off the inline html editor, and everything is fine. It doesn't seem to be the editor itself, though, because if I add an html element in one of the plain text fields (just a "<br/>" or the like), I run into the same error.

So my guess is this is some obscure PHP permissions issue or other error-- hopefully this is an easy to recognize and common issue, but I have no idea where to start.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements 1 year 10 months ago #89241

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
Is the content of the textfields relevant? Is the problem occuring, even when you just try to save one character? Or only with certain content?

Are you having root access to WHM/Cpanel? Or are you just haven access to the Cpanel Part? I would be on ModSecurity Rules or Suhosin settings.
Without error logs it is hard to find the real issue?

Guess you are using Installtron or Fantastico to install Limesurvey. They may have an old version. I would try to install by hand to ensure a clean installation.

Re: Aw: Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements 1 year 10 months ago #89243

• ewohwerd
  • Fresh Lemon
The content does seem to matter. I am able to submit plan text without problems, seemingly without a character limit. As soon as I add special characters (it seems < or / may do the trick), that's when I get a redirect and saving changes fails.

The installer was softaculous -- and I have updated with the latest builds as prompted. The initial install happened about two weeks ago or so, so that was my initial install.

I do have full access to cpanel, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I'll see what access logs have to say. THanks for your help-- please send along any other advice based on the additional details above.

Re: Aw: Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements 1 year 10 months ago #89245

• ewohwerd
  • Fresh Lemon
To add additional detail, it looks like it's 404'ing out on some requests for some reason...

"GET /survey/index.php/survey/index.php/admin/database/index/updatesurveylocalesettings HTTP/1.1" 404 1192

However, I am seeing some successful 302 codes for posts to the same location.

I just went and tried submitting a field with some <>'s, and it worked fine. "/" seems to be the problem.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by ewohwerd.

Aw: Re: Aw: Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements 1 year 10 months ago #89247

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
Since Cpanel / WHM is used often in the same way I have to ask again:
Do you have acces to WHM and EasyApache? Do you know how to compile an Apache via the WHM/Cpanel Gui.

I think your problem come from an ModSecurity Rule which needs to be deactivated for your account. This problem is often posted in this forum.
E.g. www.limesurvey.org/de/forum/installation...sues/88981-404-error

If you have an Admin/Provider which provides the CPanel account ask them about problems with certain php scripts and mod security. Would be nice if you could find out which rule causes the problem. You admin/provider can tell you.

Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements 1 year 10 months ago #89272

• ewohwerd
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks so much for your help-- it was indeed a mod_security issue. What masked the problem for me was my site settings were also redirecting on 404 so it took looking at sitelogs to confirm what exactly was happening.

Aw: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements 1 year 10 months ago #89280

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
Could you tell us which rule was causing the trouble. Most rulesets have id numbers to easily identify the rule. Thanks.

Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Settings page unable to submit/page redirects when fields include html elements 1 year 10 months ago #89281

• ewohwerd
  • Fresh Lemon
Unfortunately the admin did not specify what the change was. Thanks.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
Donation Image