Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database

LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 8 months ago #88050

• bnosie
  • Fresh Lemon
Not having much luck installing 2.00+ on a Linux server, and connecting to a MS SQL 2008 database. pdo_sqlsrv is not an option, as this only runs on Windows. I cannot find any other documentation on installing on a MS SQL db. Anyone have any suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 8 months ago #88099

We use FreeTDS (www.unixodbc.org/doc/FreeTDS.html). Hope this helps!

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 8 months ago #88205

• bnosie
  • Fresh Lemon
Did you use this with a new installation of 2.00+? How did you get a MS SQL or ODBC to show up as an option for database type during installation? I can make an ODBC connection to the MS SQL database now from the Linux server, but cannot figure out how to get LimeSurvey to use it.

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 8 months ago #88208

• c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 103
If you have pdo_mssql activated in PHP it should show up during installation
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 8 months ago #88209

I installed 1.92+.
The installation instructions say "If you configured everything correctly the LimeSurvey installer should be starting - just follow the instructions. You will be asked if to create the database and/or create the tables inside the database. Limesurvey then creates the needed tables in the database.".
You'll probably have to create an empty db first and enter the details when running the install script?
Or try and edit config.php in your Lime Survey root directory:
$databasetype = 'mssql_n';
$databaselocation = 'ms-sql-t246'; // Network location of your Database - for odbc_mssql or mssqlnative use the mssql servername, not localhost or IP
$databasename = 'LimeSurvey_test'; // The name of the database that we will create
$databaseuser = 'app_limesurvey_test'; // The name of a user with rights to create db (or if db already exists, then rights within that db)
$databasepass = '********'; // Password of db user
$dbprefix = ''; // A global prefix that can be added to all LimeSurvey tables. Use this if you are sharing
// a database with other applications. Suggested prefix is 'lime_'

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 8 months ago #88244

• bnosie
  • Fresh Lemon
I have pdo_mssql installed, and in php_info, it shows MSSQL support enabled, but under PDO drivers, it does not show pdo_mssql. I have been searching all day on how to get this part enabled, and I keep running into things saying that it will not show up there. Not sure why. I can establish a db connection with pdo_dblib, any way to use that pdo driver? Or have any insight in configuring pdo_mssql?

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 8 months ago #88246

• helper
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 18
Attached my php.ini - you will need the thread safe Microsoft SQL DLL's (php_sqlsrv_54_ts.dll and php_pdo_sqlsrv_54_ts.dll - download directly from Microsoft).

We are running on Windows 2008r2 with SQL Server 2008

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 8 months ago #88247

• bnosie
  • Fresh Lemon
My web server is 32 bit Linux, and Microsoft only has 64 bit Linux drivers for pdo_sqlsrv.

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 6 months ago #91643

• joop
  • Fresh Lemon
I have the same problem too.
Do I understand it right that LimeSurvey does not support MS SQL server under Linux at the moment for LimeSurvey 2.00+?
The manual says
Required: PDO database driver for MySQL (pdo_mysql or pdo_mysqli) or Postgres (pdo_pgsql) or MSSQL (pdo_sqlsrv)
As the pdo_sqlsrv runs only under Windows, I can't get it work under Linux, am I? Will pdo_DBLIB be supported in the future?

Best regards,

Joop
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by joop.

Re: LimeSurvey 2.00+ On Linux with MSSQL 2008 Database 1 year 6 months ago #91644

• helper
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 18
In retrospective, I would be curious as to why anybody would want to run anything Microsoft on any other OS-based box (including Linux). I just cannot make the case, especially since mySQL is free and M$ SQL has a charge per CPU (yeah, I'm cheap too!).
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Donation Image