Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I don't know what half of these terms mean

I don't know what half of these terms mean 2 years 23 hours ago #86244

OK, so I'm looking to put a survey on my wordpress blog with the plugin. In the installation instructions and on the wordpress plugin admin, there are all these questions about databases and servers in order to use it...is there a document that speaks to those of us who are not programmers and don't know all the ins and outs of techspeak? I have used LimeService.com and figured out how to create a survey, but now I want it to be on my website directly. Is my server my domain hoster? I downloaded and unzipped to my PC, but it says things like make sure directory structure is uncompressed, this is difficult for many programs...and I don't know what to do with that. I looked in my options of winrar and I see nothing about uncompressing a structure. I have taught myself a lot about the computer, I'm a fast learner...but this just seems like one unknown instruction on top of another.

Does this mean this is not for the casual user?

If not, does anybody else recommend a plugin that can put the questions on one long page, tally the results based on weighted answers, and give a summary of what that means? I have tried the following plugins: pinnion, polldaddy, simplesurvey (that was the best but it was ugly), surveygizmo (dont' want to have to pay a recurring monthly charge for one survey). I have googled it to, but not finding what I want. I think based on my use of LimeService that this should work. Help?!?!?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 2 years 21 hours ago #86245

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 331
Well, how did you install your wordpress blog? Installing Limesurvey is very similar.

You need to download the files, then uncompress them. Depending on the packet you downloaded. I would recommend to download the zip file, then un-zip it. If this causes you problems, then I actually would recommend not to proceed, because installing Limesurvey is easy, but requires a minimum knowledge of computers.

Once the file is unzipped, you need to upload the folders to your web server (via ftp). Is this something you are comfortable with?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 2 years 21 hours ago #86246

Yes, I know how to do that, which is step 5 in the installation, but I'm still unsure in the first several steps. It lists all these requirements in the first step of the manual, where do I find out if I meet those requirements? I have justhost.com as my hoster and I'm using Wordpress. And then it asks for all this info like:

You will need to know the following things to install LimeSurvey on your web server correctly:
  • Your intended website URL where your scripts will reside (e.g: my.domain.com/limesurvey)
  • The physical disk location on your server where your scripts will reside (ie: /home/usr/htdocs/limesurvey)
  • The IP/net location of your database server (ie: localhost)
  • If your database server uses a non-standard port find out which port it is.
  • Your username and password for your database server
  • With most providers you can't let the script create the database but have to do it yourself. If you are using such a provider please create a database (for example limesurvey) yourself.

Where am I supposed to get that info?

And then there's the bit about: When you uncompress the file make sure that you uncompress the directory structure with the files (this is default behavior for most compression programs).

How do I know if I did that?

I've installed a number of plug-ins via FTP - but nothing has given me so many requirements or asked so many questions. Is LimeSurvey just way more complicated or do you think they are just stating a lot of things that other plugins don't worry about and so I've never dealt with them?

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 2 years 20 hours ago #86247

Like for example it says the url where the scripts will reside. Scripts will reside? What is a script? Is this the page that I will show to a subscriber to take the quiz I create? Or is this an unpublished page which I create for something called a script to live on?

The physical disk location it will reside - to me that sounds like something on my PC, because that is physical as opposed to virtual. Are the "scripts" "residing" both on an URL and a PC?

My IP/net location of your server - I think that's the numbers I gave godaddy from my justhost info.

Username and password for your database server - ? I have a UN and PW to log on to my cpanel - is that what you need? Or do I need to create something new in My Databases on my cpanel?

How do I find out if my server let's a script create a database? If not, do I just create a new one on my cpanel by just naming it and hit enter?

Maybe these are all superstandard things, but like I said I haven't run into anything like this before.

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 2 years 20 hours ago #86248

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Script is basically the same as "Limesurvey" or "Wordpress". They are scripts that are interpreted by a webserver.

You need to know where on your server the folder is located, where the limesurvey files are uploaded. You also will need the URL (e.g. www.yourdomain.com/limesurvey/).

Within your Cpanel you will find a section where you can organize your MySQL databases. You need one of those databases for Limesurvey.

Which version of Limesurvey are we actually talking about? LS 1.92 or LS 2.00?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 2 years 6 hours ago #86256

OK, I was able to create what I needed and get most of the information. I just downloaded yesterday so it's a version 2, but I'm stuck on this:

Database location *
Set this to the IP/net location of your database server. In most cases "localhost" will work.

Localhost gave me an error message. So did the ns1.justhost.com that my hosting provider gave me to give to godaddy to host my domain. I also tried the hostname provided on my cpanel which is just54.justhost.com. That didn't work. Can you think of anything else it is called? I googled it and just got a lot of references back to limesurvey, not a further description. Is it my IP ADDRESS? That wouldn't make sense to me.

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 2 years 5 hours ago #86257

Nevermind, I got it all to work. Not sure why localhost didn't work at first but it eventually did.

So here's my recommendation for people like me who are just learning. Truthfully I was thinking this might be way over my head and it really wasn't.

I would recommend add something like this to the beginning of the installation part of the manual. If I had read THIS I would be immediately comforted. I didn't realize that was what was going to happen AT ALL so I had no idea what I was working toward. In fact, I thought I had to have my own server to do this the first time I looked at it and went off to LimeService. Then I saw there was a wordpress plugin and I thought maybe I should be able to do this after all.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO AREN'T PROGRAMMERS
This installation description uses a lot of techie terms that you may not be familiar with. Don't worry, if you have created your website and have a general knowledge you can do this.

You are going to install the limesurvey program onto your website. You will need to create a new page on your website (suggested it be private) from which you will interface with limesurvey and create your various surveys. You will also likely need to create a new database for limesurvey. This can usually be accomplished in your cpanel of your website hosting company in the MySQL area.

There are a lot of requirements listed below, chances are your hosting couple will meet the important ones. We recommend just trying to download the newest version, unzip it, and then upload it through FTP. It will later tell you as you go through the procedure as to whether you meet the requirements.

Once you upload through FTP, the process will create an admin page on your website based on the page you provided/created for limesurvey to be managed from. You can type that new url in, which will be something like yourdomain.com\limesurvey\admin, and it will magically be there. That page will then walk you through the rest of the steps.

It will ask you for the name of your your new database. You may need to create a new user name and password for the database too, which can also be managed from your cpanel generally.

Just start the process, if you have managed installing WordPress and things like that, you can do this. You can always ask questions on the Forum.

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 1 year 11 months ago #86415

• relliott
  • Fresh Lemon
I'm having a bit of the same trouble as eftcolumbus. I'm getting the blank page after loading the database, and I've tried about a million combinations for the new path after $rootdir, but none of them is working. I think this would be a simple problem for someone who is more experienced, but I just don't know what to do because I don't understand very well what all these terms are.

[url=http://http://www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/installation-a-update-issues/86404-blank-screen-after-database-upload-with-xampp]Here[/url] is more information on my specs.

Thank you!

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 1 year 11 months ago #86417

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
In LS 2.0 you do not need to configure anything in any file. You just follow the installation process.

Re: I don't know what half of these terms mean 1 year 11 months ago #86423

• relliott
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks for the reply, holch. I am getting a blank page after creating the database, which is a problem predicted in the installation FAQs. It's recommended there to change the $rooturl in config.php BUT the config.php file with $rooturl and a bunch of other things (no $databaselocation, no $databasename) does not appear to exist in version 2 (it's not in admin/config/config.php).

Here are the full contents of that file:
<?php if (!defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed');
/*
| -------------------------------------------------------------------
| DATABASE CONNECTIVITY SETTINGS
| This file will contain the settings needed to access your database.
|
| For complete instructions please consult the 'Database Connection'
| page of the User Guide.
|
| EXPLANATION OF VARIABLES
|
|	'connectionString' Hostname, database, port and database type for 
|	 the connection. Driver example: mysql. Currently supported:
|				 mysql, pgsql, mssql, sqlite, oci
|	'username' The username used to connect to the database
|	'password' The password used to connect to the database
|	'tablePrefix' You can add an optional prefix, which will be added
|				 to the table name when using the Active Record class
|
*/
return array(
	'basePath' => dirname(dirname(__FILE__)),
	'runtimePath' => dirname(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))).DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'tmp'.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'runtime',
	'name' => 'LimeSurvey',
	'defaultController' => 'survey',

'import' => array(
		'application.core.*',
		'application.models.*',
		'application.controllers.*',
		'application.modules.*',
	),

'components' => array(
		'db' => array(
			'connectionString' => 'mysql:host=localhost;port=3306;dbname=limesurvey;',
			'emulatePrepare' => true,
			'username' => 'root',
			'password' => '',
			'charset' => 'utf8',
			'tablePrefix' => 'lime_',
		),

// Uncomment the following line if you need table-based sessions
		// 'session' => array (
			// 'class' => 'system.web.CDbHttpSession',
			// 'connectionID' => 'db',
			// 'sessionTableName' => '{{sessions}}',
		// ),

'urlManager' => array(
			'urlFormat' => 'path',
			'rules' => require('routes.php'),
			'showScriptName' => true,
		),

),
	// Use the following config variable to set modified optional settings copied from config-defaults.php
	'config'=>array(
	// debug: Set this to 1 if you are looking for errors. If you still get no errors after enabling this
	// then please check your error-logs - either in your hosting provider admin panel or in some /logs directory
	// on your webspace.
	// LimeSurvey developers: Set this to 2 to additionally display STRICT PHP error messages and get full access to standard templates
		'debug'=>0
	)
);
/* End of file config.php */
/* Location: ./application/config/config.php */
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
Donation Image