Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release?

So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 10 months ago #86176

• chinaski
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 1
My admin panel suggests that I need an upgrade. I'm currently on Version 1.92+ Build 120822 and the suggested upgrade is to Version 1.92+(120919). When I go to the limesurvey download page however, it's all 2.0 releases. I see 120919 is available in your Archived Releases.

So this is the stable version? On your home page the top featured link is to a story about LimeSurvey 2.0RC9 being released, dated in August. It's funny to me that you would officially launch a complete rewrite of your app and not put something on your front page, along with some encouraging words about how easy and safe it is to upgrade a 1.9 release to 2.0.

I will attempt an upgrade on a test installation to see how that goes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 10 months ago #86177

• Fred
  • Gold Lime
  • Thank you received: 5
Good question. I'm confused too. Personally I plan stick with 1.92 until there is a clearer announcement and the documentation is updated. But if you feel like experimenting and helping report bugs then try 2.0.

Re: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 10 months ago #86222

• chinaski
  • Fresh Lemon
Definitely not applying this to a production system...I too will wait for more clarification.
Last Edit: 1 year 10 months ago by chinaski.

Aw: Re: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 9 months ago #86270

Don't use for productive environments. I have so far encountered two serious errors (admin login faulty, survey url parsing not working) and three minor ones (captcha not working, survey index not working, token management not working).

With the exception of the last these still persist in the stable (sic!) release as of October 1st.

This seems largely untested. Things like "it's currently not possible to run a survey with it" shouldn't persist in something pegged as "stable" and "most recent release" on the main page.

Re: Aw: Re: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 9 months ago #86277

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 292
As far as I know, 2.0 is supposed to be stable. However, there was no official announcement so far. But from the download section I would say it is meant to be stable.

However, if you encounter that many problems, please stay with 1.92 for production. I am not involved in development, so I do not have any further information either.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 9 months ago #86724

• lowprofile
  • Junior Lime
1.92+ (build 120919) is the last version any production system on 1.92+ should go to without some major testing. It might be wise to start a v2 on a new database

Re: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 9 months ago #86740

• pcerny
  • Fresh Lemon
Although Limesurvey is a great package, I dont recommend version 2.0 for important surveys. I downloaded and instaled latest "stable" version for new subdomain from official download link, but later realized it is "2.0RC9 Build 120920" version.

Problems I found:
- for this version is not possible to use autoupdate - so I have to do manual update (may be changed in higher version)
- if you change default admin skin to (nice) "gringegreen" skin: a) not possible to export data to excel, b) extremely slow execution in general.
(yes, it is possible to change admin "skin/layout" in version 2.0)
- in default admin skin "bloblueish": slow execution.

Slow execution may be my fault - config file in version 2.0 has probably different syntax, so may be I did not changed memory limit properly.

So I export survey structure and survey vv/csv file from instalation 2.0 and import all in another subdomain with old and fast version 1.92...

(Great new feature in version 2.0: you can change chart type (bar/pie) in the output).

Re: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 9 months ago #86742

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 292
Hi Pcerny,

under the download link you can definitely download the latest stable version, which also has autoupdate (just just it 2 days ago).

You have to go for the 2.00plus files. If you install it over an installation of one of the Release candidates, make sure that you delete all old files first and then put the new files there. I had the same issue just copying the new files over the old files and the installation still said it was RC9 or something.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The following user(s) said Thank You: pcerny

Re: So v 2.0 is the official, stable release? 1 year 9 months ago #86849

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
There are reasons for a missing Limesurvey 2 announcement. Once all Limesurvey 2 RC9 bugs were fixed, we decided to do a silent release. Though there were no open bugs at that moment, we noticed that only very few users have tested the RC versions.
Therefore, we made Limesurvey 2 available for download and unfortunately, several issues were reported after some more users started to use it. It's always hard to fully test a new release, especially since Limesurvey 2 is a complete code re-write.
We are sorry for the bugs and we are working hard on fixing them, but our resources are limited, we do all the work in our free time.

To put it in a nutshell: Use 1.92 for important surveys and if you don't need any of the new Limsurvey 2 features.
Once we consider Limesurvey 2 more stable, there will of course be an official announcement.

Please help us by reporting any issues at our bugtracker.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
Donation Image