Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3

3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86027

Dear All

I have installed LimeSurvey (Version 1.91 Build 10089) at www.paksurvey.com/survey.

It gives me message to update to newer version (Update available: 1.92+(120919)). In 3-Click comfortupdate, I'm unable to proceed from step 3. I found the following message:

ComfortUpdate step 3
Creating DB & file backup
Creating file backup...
File backup created: /home/paksurve/public_html/survey/tmp/files-20120923230747-1fe69851c1353bf11a385e865134168d.zip

and then it stops.

Any help will be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86050

This is installed on Hostgator web hosting and I've tried all major browsers (Firefox, Chrmoe, IE, etc).

Re: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86051

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 323
This is probably a shared hosting package, right?

And you probably have quite some data in your data base, right?

I would guess that you run into some php / server limits for the max. file size or maximum execution time.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86052

Yes it is a shared account but there is no such limit because this account belongs to my own reseller account and I have given max disk space, bandwidth, transfer data limit, etc.holch wrote:
This is probably a shared hosting package, right?

And you probably have quite some data in your data base, right?

I would guess that you run into some php / server limits for the max. file size or maximum execution time.

Re: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86053

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
I am not referring to disk space, bandwith or transfer data limit, but to limits in server config files like php.ini like the maximum execution time your server allows for a script (to avoid blocking the server - in the backup case it is not a problem, because you don't do this all the time, but if a normal script runs into those limits and it is excecuted often, that can cause problems with availability, that is why there are such limits) or the maximum memory size a script can ocupy on the server.

If it is a shared hoster, you usually have no access to those files.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by holch.

Re: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86054

I checked from my hosting company and found the following info:

safe mode = Off (cannot adjust)
memory_limit = 256M (MAXIMUM)
max_execution_time = 30 (MAXIMUM in seconds)
max_input_time = 60 (MAXIMUM in seconds)
post_max_size = 64M (MAXIMUM)
upload_max_filesize = 64M (MAXIMUM)
enable_dl = Off (cannot adjust)

Any tip or idea?

Ata
holch wrote:
I am not referring to disk space, bandwith or transfer data limit, but to limits in server config files like php.ini like the maximum execution time your server allows for a script (to avoid blocking the server - in the backup case it is not a problem, because you don't do this all the time, but if a normal script runs into those limits and it is excecuted often, that can cause problems with availability, that is why there are such limits) or the maximum memory size a script can ocupy on the server.

If it is a shared hoster, you usually have no access to those files.

Re: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86056

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
I am no server expert (hopefully one of them will show up).

In reality it doesn't look too bad.

Do you have an idea how big your database is? Because this might be a problem. The memory limit with 256M looks good to me and the max_execution_time with 30 should be enough as well. Can you modify these values at all? I guess probably not.

If you have many older surveys that are not in use anymore, you might want to export them for your archive and then delete them on the server, so that they don't have an impact on the file size.

But as I said, I am not an server expert and I can't guarantee that this is the problem.

Re: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86064

Thanks for your response.

I have checked the size of my database (MySQL Disk Space=2.7 MB). So I think it may not the real problem.

Ata
holch wrote:
I am no server expert (hopefully one of them will show up).

In reality it doesn't look too bad.

Do you have an idea how big your database is? Because this might be a problem. The memory limit with 256M looks good to me and the max_execution_time with 30 should be enough as well. Can you modify these values at all? I guess probably not.

If you have many older surveys that are not in use anymore, you might want to export them for your archive and then delete them on the server, so that they don't have an impact on the file size.

But as I said, I am not an server expert and I can't guarantee that this is the problem.

Re: 3-Click comfort update stops at step 3 1 year 11 months ago #86074

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hmmm, with 2.7 MB Database you really shouldn't run into problems.

So I really have no idea, where the problem could be.

Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
Donation Image