Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New installation - Can't log in

New installation - Can't log in 2 years 2 months ago #84946

Not off to a great start.

I've got a brand new installation of the latest Limesurvey.

The problem is that I can't log in, rendering it useless to me at the moment :unsure:

I searched the forum and read that the solution is to use another browser. Unfortunately in my case the result was no different.

I tried both Chromium and Firefox, and both encounter the same problem "You have to login first"

Please advise.

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New installation - Can't log in 2 years 2 months ago #84948

• tfj
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 6
mikedefieslife:

From your post, I'm guessing that you have installed 1.92+. I'm sorry to ask the most basic question, but did you set up the config.php file (found in the LimeSurvey folder)? Within this folder, you will find various settings that need to be tailored to your particular installation.

Also, did you make sure that the config.php settings reflect the connection to your database and that this connection works properly?

tfj

Re: New installation - Can't log in 2 years 2 months ago #84949

Yeah I used 1.92

My host offers a 1 click installation of Limesurvey so I used that, as i've done with wordpress, modx, phplist etc..

Looking in config.php all details are correct. The database user/passwords are right, the database name, prefix etc.. as are the admin username and passwords.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by mikedefieslife.

Re: New installation - Can't log in 2 years 2 months ago #84950

• tfj
  • Expert Lime
  • Thank you received: 6
From here, then, I am not sure how to advise you, especially since I have not used the 1-click feature. I have never experienced the problem you describe, so I can't rely on experience.

I'm sure someone else will jump in and take it from here.

tfj

Re: New installation - Can't log in 2 years 2 months ago #84952

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 380
Problem with those 1click installers from the hosters is that we basically don't know what they are doing and what so we can't help much. I guess you will have to ask the hoster about the problem.

In general, installing LS from scratch is fairly easy and shouldn't be a big deal.

Maybe you can post the content of the config.php here (delete the passwords of course) and we can have a look at it if we see something strange?

How does the login page look like? Is it style correctly? If for example the rooturl is wrong, then usually the page is lacking CSS styles, etc.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: New installation - Can't log in 2 years 2 months ago #84976

Here is the login page:

www.fruitfulthoughts.co.uk/surveytool/admin/admin.php

Here is the config.php (passwords removed)

<?php
/*
 * LimeSurvey
 * Copyright (C) 2007 The LimeSurvey Project Team / Carsten Schmitz
 * All rights reserved.
 * License: GNU/GPL License v2 or later, see LICENSE.php
 * LimeSurvey is free software. This version may have been modified pursuant
 * to the GNU General Public License, and as distributed it includes or is
 * derivative of works licensed under the GNU General Public License or other
 * free or open source software licenses.
 * See COPYRIGHT.php for copyright notices and details.
 * $Id$
 */

/* IMPORTANT NOTICE
 *  With LimeSurvey v1.70+ the configuration of LimeSurvey was simplified,
 *  Now config.php only contains the basic required settings.
 *  Some optional settings are also set by default in config-defaults.php.
 *  If you want to change an optional parameter, DON'T change values in config-defaults.php!!!
 *  Just copy the parameter into your config.php-file and adjust the value!
 *  All settings in config.php overwrite the default values from config-defaults.php
 */

// Basic Setup

$databasetype       =   'mysql';       // ADOdb database driver - valid values are mysql, mysqli, odbc_mssql, mssql_n, odbtp or postgres
                                       // mysql: Recommended driver for mysql
                                       // mysqli: Slightly faster driver for mysql - not on all server systems available
                                       // odbc_mssql: MSSQL driver using ODBC with MS SQL Server
                                       // mssqlnative: Native SQL Server driver for SQL Server 2005+
                                       // mssql_n: Experimental driver for MS SQL Server which handles UTF-8 charsets
                                       // odbtp: ODBTP driver to access MSSQL-Server is needed for this one - we also recommend to activate $databasepersistent for decent speed
                                       // postgres: Standard postgres driver

$databaselocation   =   'localhost';   // Network location of your Database - for odbc_mssql or mssqlnative use the mssql servername, not localhost or IP
$databasename       =   'socialsi_lime213';  // The name of the database that we will create
$databaseuser       =   'socialsi_lime213';        // The name of a user with rights to create db (or if db already exists, then rights within that db)
$databasepass       =   '#####removed####';            // Password of db user
$dbprefix           =   'npl_';       // A global prefix that can be added to all LimeSurvey tables. Use this if you are sharing
// a database with other applications. Suggested prefix is 'lime_'

// File Locations
$rooturl            =   "http://fruitfulthoughts.co.uk/surveytool"; // The root web url for your limesurvey installation (without a trailing slash).
// The double quotes (") are important.

$rootdir            =   dirname(__FILE__); // This is the physical disk location for your limesurvey installation. Normally you don't have to touch this
// setting. If you use IIS then you MUST enter the complete rootdir e.g. : $rootDir='C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\limesurvey'!
// Some IIS and OS/2 installations also require to use forward slashes
// instead of backslashes, e.g.  $rootDir='C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/limesurvey'!

//installation Setup
$defaultuser        =   '#####removed####';           // This is the username when LimeSurvey is installed and the administration user is created on installation
$defaultpass        =   '#####removed####';        // This is the password for the administration user when LimeSurvey is installed

// Debug Settings
$debug              =   0;                 // Set this to 1 if you are looking for errors. If you still get no errors after enabling this
                                           // then please check your error-logs - either in your hosting provider admin panel or in some /logs dir
                                           // on your webspace.
                                           // LimeSurvey developers: Set this to 3 to circumvent the restriction to remove the installation directory and full access to standard templates
                                           // or to change the password. If you set it to 3 then PHP STRICT warnings will be shown additionally.

$sitename           =   'Fruitful Thoughts Survey';     // The official name of the site (appears in the Window title)

// Email Settings

$siteadminemail     =   '#####removed####'; // The default email address of the site administrator
$siteadminbounce    =   '#####removed####'; // The default email address used for error notification of sent messages for the site administrator (Return-Path)
$siteadminname      =   'Administrator';      // The name of the site administrator
$defaultlang		=	'en';

Is there anything else, such as certain DB entries that might help?

Re: New installation - Can't log in 2 years 2 months ago #84979

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 380
OK, the login page looks fine, however, you changed the URL.

So if you use $defaultuser and $defaultpass to login this doesn't work?

Have you logged in already and changed the default password?

Usually there is a code that finds the webroot automatically. I usually leave this as it is and never had problems. don't know if this is the problem (shouldn't!), but you never know.

Save your current config.php and try it with this code for the rooturl:
$rooturl = "http://{$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']}/limesurvey";
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: New installation - Can't log in 2 years 2 months ago #84980

http://{$_SERVER}/surveytool

Works

Thanks very much.

The actual root is www.fruitfulthoughts.co.uk/surveytool/ so I don't know why that didn't work, but all appears fine now.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds
Donation Image