Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install

"No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 9 months ago #83820

• abita1
  • Senior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
I am posting this here, rather than in the prior posts, as I discovered something which might be useful to others.

My host is MadDogDomains, which is, I believe a Godaddy knockoff.

Standard server configuration for this ISP:
PHP 5.3.13 with FastCGI, enabled.
The PHP extension defaults to that version.
I have an .htaccess file which address missing files at my root

With that PHP version enabled, a call to
mydomain.com/limesurvey2/index.php/installer
fails with the "No Input File Specified"

However, if I change the PHP file extension, using the ISPs hosting control software to: 5.2.x [ie, without FastCGI]

The response to that identical URL is a 404 [missing]
If, instead, I enter the URL:
mydomain.com/limesurvey2/index.php
the install script will start up!

I suspect that the 404-missing is due to the fact that my root .htaccess might have rewrite rules for missing directories. Which leads me to believe that the FastCGI is a problem because there is "technically" a missing file. The "No Input File Specified" is reported in the context of various PHP applications [including LS and others], where FastCGI disinters a normal report of a missing page.

2nd: I'm thinking that since I have .htaccess at my root addressing missing files, somehow that is tangling the FastCGI/PHP and not allowing the method for the install [by hanging a Directory Name at the end of the URL]. This incurs the wrath of the FastCGI/PHP, which, instead of reporting a missing file, reports the No Input File Specified.

So, in the end, I would expect that there might be a suggested solution path for the developers...

To change the means by which the install starts, to eliminate the use of dangling directory names.

I am going to finish the install process, and see if I can complete the install. I note that my ISP states that the 5.3 version is the supported version, and I note that it only comes in a FastCGI flavor. Because of this, and the plausible installer/user status which includes rewrites at the root, it might be wise for the developers to address what I call the dangling urls.

I will report back on the install and testing
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 8 months ago #84095

• ahmed
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello abita1,

I'm trying to install RC7 and am also getting the "No Input File Specified" output instead of the install screen. (Also using godaddy hosting)

Just wondering if you managed to find a solution to this? If so, it would be great if you could post it. Thanks!

Cheers!

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 8 months ago #84118

• abita1
  • Senior Lime
Yes -- go to the Hosting Control, and change the program for the PHP file extension to something without FastCGI.

Also....as an aside: your .htaccess [if you created one] might not be behaving properly with its ReDirects/ReWrites.

I do note that once I changed the PHP to 5.2x on at the control center, I have done various installs without problems; and, for me, no problems with the .htaccess as was configured.

Regards,

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: ahmed

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 8 months ago #84135

• ahmed
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello John,
Thanks for the feedback. You're suggestion worked! Couldn't install lime with FastCGI but without it, no problems.

Too bad I need php 5.3 for some of my scripts, and too bad godaddy only lets you use php 5.3 with FastCGI.

Then again, limesurvey is in RC mode so hopefully so fingers crossed it will work with FastCGI when the final 2.0 arrives.

Thanks again!

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 8 months ago #84137

• abita1
  • Senior Lime
Karma points for me, then !

Sadly, I recall trying to install 2RC7 and having the same problem. And, as I sit here, once I got it working, I don't recall testing to see whether it was still affected by re-trying the 'with FastCGI'; I have to imagine I did, ever curious as I am.

You're welcome, in any case....glad I could help.

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 8 months ago #84385

• rx2
  • Fresh Lemon
Indeed. We are running MODX Revolution on the same server and it does require FastCGI so we are out of luck with running LS 2.0 on GoDaddy platforms unless this changes (and yes, we beg clients to never host on GoDaddy).

We were going to write a module for MODX/Lime Survey that communicates between the two, tying the permissions of a user in one system to the other so only certain users with the proper token can fill out a survey. With Yii in LS 2 this would be considerably easier. May not bother with the older version of LS if we have to use and have the client do a manual process.

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 5 months ago #87470

• lads
  • Fresh Lemon
I have installed the latest release on Godadday. I know, ughh! Anyway, I went to the Godaddy hosting control page and there are no options for PHP 5.2 w/o FastCGI. How do you find that option? Maybe Godaddy removed that option in the last few months...

Any other solutions to this problem in the meantime?
Thx

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 5 months ago #88438

• jawnathin
  • Fresh Lemon
Just felt like chiming in -- disabling FastCGI allows the installer to run properly.

Thanks to everyone who pointed that out!

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 4 months ago #89058

• paul_iv
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi, I guess this manual helps: support.godaddy.com/help/article/7555/di...unt?pc_split_value=1
Just performed with php 4.2.

Re: "No Input File Specified" - Possible Solution to 2.0RC7 Install 1 year 4 months ago #89060

• c_schmitz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 91
There should never be a need to deactivate FastCGI -it will make your server slow. LimeSurvey should run perfectly with it being activated.
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
Donation Image