Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead

New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83071

• CrlyWrly
  • Junior Lime
I have just installed Limesurvey with Softaculous - Limesurvey version Version 1.92 Build 120303

There is a link in the Admin Panel saying there is an update. I followed this, entered the update key and there is a message saying this is valid.

When I select the button "Proceed to Step 2" - nothing happens.

In the Admin Panel, the only way I can get to Global Settings is using the "update" link as the "Global Settings" button is dead.

Also, the "default email" on the surveys page is an url rather than a mail link. Do I fix this via the Global Settings for email? I have installed LimeSurvey on the site that hosts my email address but I normally send and receive email using this address via a Gmail account where this email address is registered as an extra "identity".

I hope that last bit about emails makes sense - I am afraid I am not sure how to explain it properly.

I was hoping to get a survey that I have already designed out today :S

Best wishes,
Liz
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83072

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 324
Personally I wouldn't recommend to use scripts like Softaculous to install Limesurvey (or any other software), as they often make (or made in the past) changes to the software which breaks the possibility to upgrade.

Regarding the update key: so far I never had to enter the update key. The default one was always ok. What kind of key did you use? Maybe that is the problem and you just have to leave it as it is?

You can use SMTP to send emails, you have to set this up in the general settings of your installation.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The following user(s) said Thank You: CrlyWrly

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83088

• CrlyWrly
  • Junior Lime
Hi Holch,

Many thanks for the reply.

There was a message about the Key that said something like, "for this beta version of the update use this standard key: 'Update Key' " and it was already filled in - so probably the same as you have used in the past.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I didn't think it was important at the time but it was something along those lines :pinch:

I haven't had a problem with any Softaculous installations before so I didn't expect any this time.

The manual installation instructions for Lime Survey looked a bit complicated so I was very happy to be able to take the Softaculous route - it is also how I found out about Lime Survey, so it's not all bad :-)

Do you think the best solution is to un-install and then to re-install manually?

I just know that the answer is going to be "Yes" . . . . dammit! . . . but I am asking on the off-chance that there might be a simpler fix . . . . hope springs eternal!

Best wishes,
Liz
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by CrlyWrly.

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83097

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, it is very hard to say what is happening, as we obviously do not have any access to your server.

Here is how my comfort update looks like:

Screenshot_1.png

And this is the second step:

Screenshot_2_2012-07-06.png

It took about half a minute to update on my vServer. Maybe your server doesn't allow to run a script of this size. Is it a normal webhosting package?
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83100

• CrlyWrly
  • Junior Lime
Hi Holch,

Thanks again.

After the key has been checked I see this message at the bottom of the screen:

"Everything looks alright. Please proceed to the next step."

However, I cannot get to Step 2 as the "Proceed to Step 2" button is dead.

It is a normal web-hosting package:
www.vidahost.com/page/hosted-applications

There is plenty of space in my account.

I have already installed Wordpress and I have previously tried out a few other blogs and forums and stuff to check them out but uninstalled them when I decided to go for Wordpress (this is over the last year or so). I used Softaculous for all these installations and uninstallations.

Lime Survey is in a new directory on the server: salt-mine.net/surveys/

I am wondering, given that I need to get this up and running quickly, if it might be quicker for me to set up the survey on LimeService www.LimeService.com and then I can faff about sorting this problem out later on, when I have got more time.

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83103

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 818
Hello,

If you have an FTP access, maybe is great to replace all scriptaculous file by the offical LS files. Just keep config.php (very important).

Denis
PS : and yes LimeService is very quick;)

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83110

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Well, as we don't know what Softaculous does with the orginal Limesurvey (sometimes those software installers modify the software to adapt them to their needs - I don't know if this is the case) it is very difficult to tell.

What I ment is that sometimes on shared hosting like yours, there are certain limits for php scripts and if they are very big or take quite long for execution, the host doesn't allow it. The fact that Wordpress works says little, because each software has different needs. Actually big parts of a software can work fine, but with others you might run into limits. For example if you need to export big results files, some weak shared hosting servers might run into their execution limits and stop the process.

LimeService is for sure a quick solution for your problems. You don't have to worry about the technical stuff behind and you have a dedicated support.

Now, to solve the problem one solution would be to overwrite the files (except for the config.php), as Denis mentioned. Actually installing Limesurvey yourself is not that big of a deal. You can first try it on your local machine by installing XAMPP as a webserver environment and then install LS there. But you will have to adapt the config file (not difficult, but as it is a text file might scare some people).

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83122

• CrlyWrly
  • Junior Lime
Dear Denis and Holch,

Thank you both for your advice.

I use Filezilla for ftp and am OK with uploading - there seemed to be some tricky settings when I looked at the manual installation info for Lime Survey and it was those which put me off.

Just in case I have further problems with installation, I have registered with Lime Service.

When I checked my hosting account, adding Lime Survey took me to over 50% of my disk space allocation (on top of Wordpress and other files) so if Lime Service is enough for what I need it might make more sense for me to stick with that anyway :-)

Many thanks again to you both for your help,
Liz

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83130

• CrlyWrly
  • Junior Lime
I feel very stupid . . . this is a problem with Noscript Firefox addon.

I had the same problem with the admin panel on LimeService, which made me suspect that something else was going on.

Everything works fine on LimeService if I disable Noscript or use a different browser (tested with Camino).

I have tried everything I can think of in terms of tweaking the Noscript settings but still cannot get it to allow me to access the Global Settings, although I can access the Template Settings no problem.

I have posted a query on the Noscript forum

. . . head in hands . . . another day up the spout :pinch:

Sorry for wasting your time asking for help with Limesurvey when that was not the cause of the problem at all :blush:

Re: New Softaculous install - ComfortUpdate problem and Global Settings Button dead 2 years 2 months ago #83135

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Things like these can happen. So at the end the update worked?

Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
Donation Image