Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version

Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80827

• vourchlim
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello,

I want to upgrade Limsurvey 1.5 to the latest version but i can't do it even it has it in Limesurvey manual but it not clear. Could you explain me in detail and step by step?

Thanks and Regards,
Vourchlim
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80829

• c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 117
Hi,

before we all start repeating the installation manual here, can you maybe explain what's unclear?
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80830

• vourchlim
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi,
for the installation, it clear for me. what i want to ask about the update Limesurvey 1.5 to Limesurvey 1.9.

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80831

• m_ardito
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 1
hi, if possible i suggest you to also consider the possibility to export all surveys and importing them in the new LS: it's changed a lot, including templates (old ones table based which can give you problems, new ones are div based and at least question conditions rely on a "compatible" template), and so many questions and more...

although possibile, you will save more time and efforts/headaches imho and you wll have the chance to run both versions until the switch runs smoothly, and learn the differences.

I did a 1.7x -> 1.9x upgrade and, apart templates issue, it all went smooth: it was a manual upgrade, though. Newer versions can be (until now) be upgraded with "safe" 1-2-3 click procedures.

Marco

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80832

• m_ardito
  • Fresh Lemon
i think he was referring to this:
www.docs.limesurvey.org/Upgrading+from+a...tions+for+LimeSurvey

Marco

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80833

• vourchlim
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks Marco for your idea.
i just want to know is it possible to update limesurvey1.5 to limesurvey 1.9 or not? if can, can you explain me how to do it?
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by vourchlim.

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80845

• m_ardito
  • Fresh Lemon
if you read the link i posted above you will read the instruction, step-by-step:
[edit] i don't know why below every "installation" (maybe even this last) becomes a link, it should be the limesurvey website making some automagic, please ignore all below "intallation" links, read as simple text.[/edit]

<<Upgrading from version 1.50 or later to the latest 1.xx series

Download(external link) the latest version of LimeSurvey.

Prepare and backup the old installation

Backup your installation directory files and SQL-based database just in case.

At the command-line level, make a .zip or similar archive of the whole installation directory tree of files. e.g. tar cvzf foo.tgz cps100 will tar and zip the whole of the cps100 directory

Using phpMyAdmin or similar to export all tables; or using the Limesurvey Administration button Image to backup the entire database

Copy your config.php file ,modified template directories and the /upload directory separately for quick access later.

Replace all the installation directory files

Delete all old files in the existing installation directory

Upload and unpack the new code version into the same installation directory

Edit or replace the config.php file:

If your previous version was < 1.70: Edit the new config.php to reflect changed settings in the backup config.php file. Do not just overwrite the new config.php with your old one!
If your previous version was >= 1.70: Simply replace the new config.php with your backup config.php (as the file format has not changed).
If your previous version was older than 1.90: Copy any customized templates to /upload/templates - you will also need to rename each template directory whose name matches an existing template in /templates.

Copy your /upload directory back to the old location

Double check the permissions set on the directories (write access to /tmp, /upload and and their subdirectories is required) as described in Installation(external link)

Finishing the installation

Once you open the URL to your LimeSurvey administration the database tables will be updated after confirmation

Remove or rename the /admin/install directory as/if instructed by the installation script

Check if any special, manual checks apply as listed below

You are done biggrin. If you notice any problems after the upgrade: Clear your browser cache and cookies! >>

now, if something in this procedure is not clear, you may ask about that specific point, it will be easier! ;-)

Marco
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by m_ardito.

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80849

• vourchlim
  • Fresh Lemon
yes i already read this but it seem not clear for me. as some point below:
- Replace all the installation directory files, it's mean we have to copy code in LS latest version(1.92) to the previous version(1.5) right?
- modified template directories and the /upload directory separately for quick access later. what does it mean?
- how to modify config.php file if i want to upgrade LS1.5 to LS1.92?

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80852

• vourchlim
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi,
I have upgraded successful now,thank you Marco.
how wonderful Limesuvey!!!

Re: Upgrade Limesurvey1.5 to the latest version 2 years 6 months ago #80854

• m_ardito
  • Fresh Lemon
about <<Replace all the installation directory files, it's mean we have to copy code in LS latest version(1.92) to the previous version(1.5) right?>> yes that is the meaning, so (after following previous points):
1) Delete all old files in the existing installation directory
2) Upload and unpack the new code version into the same installation directory

then, about <<modified template directories and the /upload directory separately for quick access later. what does it mean?>>
1) before start, copy every template directory you could have customized/modified, and also the upload folder, because the installer could overwrite everything you did in those folders.
2) After upgrade you can use this temporary copy to revert changes to your custom files or apply the same customizations to the new files (eg: customize the div-based template in the same way you did for the table-base old ones, put your logo, etc.) when you are satisifed, get rid of the temp copy of thoses folder (which shoud be in the main backup anyway :-) )

then, about <<how to modify config.php file if i want to upgrade LS1.5 to LS1.92?>>

well unfortunately you should understand all the changes between 1.5 and the version you are installing. when i upgraded from 1.7x to 1.9x there where something like 90 versions in between! Just look at the release log, starting from the old version and going up, and see if there are warinngs of a configuration change need for every version. I know, it's scary! Otherwise, use the new config the installer creates/provides and look at anything not working, and correct. Nobody can tell you what to change exactly, i think you have to check or cross fingers :-) it shoud not be that bad...

Marco
The following user(s) said Thank You: vourchlim
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
Donation Image