Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter

Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 5 months ago #79029

• Newbeedu
  • Junior Lime
Hello All,

On the first page I have a multiple choice question with 12 options and Open box for 'Others'.

In the next page I need to have only the selected boxes of previous multiple choice question (which is possible through array filter but "without" the 'other' option) + response written in the 'Other' box.
This is a rating question where the selected options are rated on a scale of 5.

Could you please help.
Pls let me know if I should provide any more information.

Thanks and Regards,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 5 months ago #79036

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
1. Which Limesurvey version do you use?

2. Can you create a simple test survey and activate it and post the link?

3. Can you attach that survey for testing?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 5 months ago #79041

• Newbeedu
  • Junior Lime
1. Which Limesurvey version do you use?

- Version 1.91+ Build 12416

I have uploaded a sample survey.

Page 1 and Page 2 are fine. Page 3 I have the other option which does nto reflect on page 4 when selected.
Attachments:

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 4 months ago #79112

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
I think this feature now exist at 1.92 which uses the Expression Manager to handle it (please refer to the docs).

You can test if this is fixed at the latest version by testing our online demo which always runs the latest Limesurvey version.
Username: admin
Password: test
If you can reproduce the problem there please report back.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 4 months ago #79159

• Newbeedu
  • Junior Lime
Hi,

I logged in to the account you provided and imported the survey that I had shared with you.

On the third page, I selected Others and inserted a name, but on the 4th page, it did not appear.

Pls let me know if I have made any mistakes in testing the survey.

Sorry i am not able to upload the screen shots I took. It is saying attachment does not exist. :(

This survey is available on the link provided.

Pls Help.

Thanks,
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Newbeedu.

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 4 months ago #79434

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Please read these instructions and test the sample survey provided: docs.limesurvey.org/Expression+Manager+S...imeSurvey#Overview_3

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 4 months ago #79463

• andrie
  • Fresh Lemon
You can do this in version 1.92+ with the new Expression Manager feature. But you need to do a bit of a workaround and change the type of questions.

I attach a modified sample survey that illustrates the ideas. Here are the steps.

1. In Q3, change the subquestions and add an explicit "Other" item. Untick the advanced option to have an automatic other option.
  2. Add a new question directly after Q3. Give it the code "Q3other". Add a condition to Q3other to only display if the "other" option in Q3 was ticked. Make the question type "short free text" and ask for the description of the "other" option.
  3. Change Q4 by adding an explicit "Other" subquestion
  4. Now for the fun bit. Use the piping feature built into Expression Manager to "pipe" the value of "Q3other" to the subquestion of Q4 "other". You do this by adding this text as the subquestion textL {Q3other}

If you followed all of these steps, you'll get the desired survey behaviour.

Screenshotat2012-04-26171607.png
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by andrie.

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 4 months ago #79466

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 323
This should also work with the Array filter without a problem. I think I just did this with one of my current surveys.

The names of the items don't need to be the same, so for other you can insert the response to the "other" field from the multiple choice.

I'll have a look at my survey, but I am quite sure that I just did that for a current survey. Problem is, that the survey has around 200 questions, many of them with "other", so it will be difficult to find.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 4 months ago #79472

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
holch wrote:
This should also work with the Array filter without a problem. I think I just did this with one of my current surveys.

The names of the items don't need to be the same, so for other you can insert the response to the "other" field from the multiple choice.
Are you sure? Don't the answer codes always have to match, meaning the option at the follow up question should be named "other" as well?

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Multiple Choice with 'Others' to Array - using Array Filter 2 years 4 months ago #79486

• holch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 323
I am quite sure. Because I thought I might just try it. I will check this.

Hmmm, might be that I used "other" as a normal item, with conditions for an open ended questions. And then based on this I probably created the second question and added there responses of the open-ended question in case "other" was marked.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
Donation Image