Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question

Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 2 years 7 months ago #79017

• jackjack
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi guys,

I've a question regarding combining two question types, a numerical input with a don't know option.

Problem description:
The problem is not to display the two questions as one but rather setting the appropriate conditions for the questions since one of the 2 questions should be mandatory, so either the participant has to enter a value or select the don’t know option. Furthermore, the numerical input should be used for further questions

What I have tried so far:
1, using a multiple choice question with two answer possibilities, and hide the first checkbox and second comment field with javascript. From the design point this solution worked out very well but at the end I was not able to select the value entered in the first comment field (numerical input) for further conditions, so I had to resign this solution
2, using 2 question types, a numerical input and 2 multiple choice questions. The idea was to have the numerical input and don’t know option not mandatory but the second multiple choice question mandatory. Then, by using javascript, with a onchange event for each of the first two questions to change the second multiple choice question if the participant either enters a value or selects the don’t know option. The problem with this solution is that my javascript skills are more or less moderate so I was not able to get this solution to work
3, having one numerical input and a multiple choice question, the numerical input is mandatory, the multiple choice not. Then, by using javascript, if the participant selects the “don’t know” option, a value is entered in the numerical input field (e.g. 99999) so I can filter the responses later for this value. The problem here is that if the user selects the “don’t know” option, he sees the value in the field, so I was not able to hide the 99999.
4, searching the web , forum limesurvey docs for any solution that could help me with my problem but hadn’t any success for my specific problem

How you guys could help me:
I’d really appreciate if you could either point me in the right direction how I can realize my question. I’m also open for any new suggestions how this question can be programmed, but I’m also willing to discuss my own ideas with you to get this question to work.

I’d really appreciate any suggestions or assistance from you since I have no more ideas how this can be realized.

Thank you very much in advance,

Robert
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 2 years 7 months ago #79018

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 868
Hello,

You could use :
Q1: A numeric question type, mandatory
Q2: a multichoice question type with one subquestion : NOTKN : Don't know.

Set the Relevance equation of Q1 to
Q2_NOTKN.code!='Y'

Denis

Re: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 2 years 7 months ago #79021

• jackjack
  • Fresh Lemon
Hello Denis,

thank you very much for your reply!

I like your approach, but when selecting the "don't know" option, the question Q1 disapprears completely.

Is there a way I could still show the question but having the relevance ignore the mandatory setting for Q1 ?

Re: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 2 years 7 months ago #79026

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
How about
- using a multiple choice question
- create an answer with code 9999 and text "I don't know"
- set the answer with code 9999 to be exclusive
- make the question mandatory by setting min answers = 1
- use the "other replace text" to indicate that a number has to be inputted at the text field
- set the tex field to accept number only

Please test the attached question (based on Limesurvey 1.92) in an activates sample survey.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey_question_MCNUM.lsq
File Size: 5 KB

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 2 years 7 months ago #79069

• jackjack
  • Fresh Lemon
Hey Mazi,

thank you very much for your suggestion!

I'll try it during the weekend and will let you know if the question is working.

Thank you very much!

Re: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 2 years 7 months ago #79079

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
jackjack wrote:
Hey Mazi,

thank you very much for your suggestion!

I'll try it during the weekend and will let you know if the question is working.

Thank you very much!
You're welcome :-)

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to give Limesurvey a future .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 2 years 6 months ago #79191

• jackjack
  • Fresh Lemon
okay I had time to work on the question you provided and it turns out that it works well. I can set conditions on the numerical input (unfortunately I have to set them manually since the conditions editor does not recognize it but that's not the problem, just to let you know).

Thank you very much for your support, I'll consider a donation when I have finished this project. (I'm just a poor student....)

Re: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 2 years 6 months ago #79428

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
jackjack wrote:
I can set conditions on the numerical input (unfortunately I have to set them manually since the conditions editor does not recognize it but that's not the problem, just to let you know).
Can you explain that in more detail? Is the question not listed at the condition editor?

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Combine "numerical input" and "don't know" question 1 year 11 months ago #90190

• jessicar64
  • Fresh Lemon
jackjack wrote:
I can set conditions on the numerical input (unfortunately I have to set them manually since the conditions editor does not recognize it.

How are you setting conditions based on the numerical input? I have the same issue as you, and the solution Mazi wrote works great, except that I only want to display the next question (in the same group) if the respondent entered a value. The conditions editor doesn't allow checking to see that "other" is checked and filled in.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Donation Image