Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update

Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78502

• ebchang
  • Fresh Lemon
I just installed the latest update using the "easy" method. (Version 1.92+ Build 120412) Since then sessions don't persist. Subjects can't continue from the initial welcome page to the first screen of questions - they get the "We are sorry but your session has expired." message.

Logged in as admin, I get prompted to re-login after every couple of actions.

I managed to increase the value for session lifetime, but that doesn't help.

Any ideas what is happening and how to fix it?

Note: I increased max_input_vars as mentioned in another post about expiring sessions, but it didn't help. And the problem occurred immediately after updating limesurvey, not PHP.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by ebchang. Reason: added note
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78508

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 869
Hello,

Did you have access to server log ?
Can you look at a phpinfo file for: session.save_path and suhosin.cookie.encrypt .

Denis

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78510

• c_schmitz
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 117
So, what was your previous version?
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78531

• ebchang
  • Fresh Lemon
The previous version was the immediately preceding update, build 120405. There were no problems with it. I've been checking weekly and doing the updates suggested using the "comfort update."

Everything has been very smooth until this last update. The problem appeared immediately after the update.

It came to my attention when a subject emailed me to report that she couldn't get past the welcome screen. First click on "Next" appeared to do nothing, second brought the message session not valid. Similarly, I can initially log in as admin, but the moment I try to go beyond the welcome screen I get prompted to login again.

Denis, session.save.path is /var/lib/php/session. There is no suhosin.cookie.encrypt variable, and no "suhosin" in any variable. PHP version is 5.3.10, build date Feb 2, 2012.

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78532

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
ebchang wrote:
Denis, session.save.path is /var/lib/php/session.
Good for suhosin.

It's a dirty hack, but try:
session_save_path ($rootdir.DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR.'tmp' );

at the end of your config.php. If it work, remove it quiclky, because session become accessible via the web server. It's just for testing.

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78534

• ebchang
  • Fresh Lemon
That worked! I have removed the line.

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78538

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
Then there are some rights problem in your installation.
Maybe some suphp or apache user right.

Use
session_save_path ('/tmp' );
And talk with the admin sys :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ebchang

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78540

• ebchang
  • Fresh Lemon
Apache can create the session files in /var/lib/php/session, but they are empty even though it has write access to them.

The session files created in tmp when I tested do have content added.

Limesurvey seems to be the only application on the server that is currently using PHP sessions, so I cannot tell if the problem is universal.

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78541

• ebchang
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you for the temporary fix. I will work with the system admin to find a long term solution.

Re: Sessions expire almost immediately after installed update 2 years 7 months ago #78556

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
ebchang wrote:
Thank you for the temporary fix. I will work with the system admin to find a long term solution.
Did apache have execute right in whole /var/lib/php/session ( /var/ + /var/lib/ + /var/lib/php/ + /var/lib/php/session)

Denis
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Donation Image