Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Multiple exclusive Likert scales in one question

Multiple exclusive Likert scales in one question 2 years 7 months ago #76821

• vjbill
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi there,

I've been looking around but haven't found any straightforward yes or no answer to my problem.

What I basically want to achieve is having 4 Likert scales (5 radio buttons for each scale, so a typical 5 point scale) in one question. The catch is that if any of the 20 radio buttons gets selected, it cancels any previous selection, i.e. the user can only select a single radio button among the 4 scales. The Array (5 point choice) question type is exactly what I would like to have with the only difference that it shouldn't allow more than one answer in the whole question.

I've read about the Minimum and Maximum answers setting, but it's still a bit confusing for the user. Is my only choice jQuery and removing the selected state from radio buttons?

Thanks for your help,
Regards,

Bill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Multiple exclusive Likert scales in one question 2 years 7 months ago #76824

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
That functionality is built in to version 1.92. You can set minimum answers and maximum answers both to 1. That will ensure that the user can only select one answer from among the 4 Likert scales. It won't make other answers disappear, but it they submit the question, they will get a warning that it fails validation constraints and will have to fix their answers before they can move on.

Re: Multiple exclusive Likert scales in one question 2 years 7 months ago #76825

• vjbill
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi TMSWhite,

Indeed, that functionality I have already discovered. The thing that makes me consider jQuery (or JavaScript in general) is that the user won't know until she presses the Submit (or Next) button that only one answer is possible.

Edit:
And unless I'm missing something, there is no way to clear a selection of a radio button using only the mouse. The selection is persisted after the warning is displayed. I guess it's the jQuery solution left.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,
Bill
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by vjbill.

Re: Multiple exclusive Likert scales in one question 2 years 7 months ago #76826

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
Actually, in 1.92, it shows a message saying "Please select one answer", and will color code that message pink if they select the wrong number of answers (and green if they select the right number of answers).

Re: Multiple exclusive Likert scales in one question 2 years 7 months ago #76829

• vjbill
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi,

Indeed, that is true what you are saying - LimeSurvey has basic question number validation (i.e. the message colour). Still, if a user selects more than one answer, it cannot be undone in a graceful manner. It's time to hack together a script forbidding the user to select more than one radio button.

Thanks for your help anyway,

Regards,
Blazej

Re: Multiple exclusive Likert scales in one question 2 years 7 months ago #76831

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
If you enable "Show 'no answer' option for non-mandatory questions", each of the Likert scales will start with a No Answer option, which makes it easy to uncheck them.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
Donation Image