Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: one.com and limesurvey

one.com and limesurvey 2 years 9 months ago #72513

• tvnewland
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi,

For a few months now, I'm using limesurvey to build my survey for my master thesis for school. When sending mails this evening, for one moment everything was working fine, and then for unknown reason the message "Email to 'person' failed. Error Message: Could not instantiate mail function." appeared. I only sended 15 mail max. one by one.

I'm using one.com as webhost and it was always working fine till then. I'm on version 1.91+ Build 11343, but build 11804 gives the same results. I also restarted a new empty survey with new database entries, same results.

Do you guys have any experience with this from the past? I have selected PHP (Default) in the Limesurvey admin panel email settings, does this mean one.com just gets a mail() function to run with any email address I configure? Maybe I'm flagged as spammer?

Any help is welcome, as I really got to get this solved to be on time with my thesis...

Great thanks
tom
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by tvnewland.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: one.com and limesurvey 2 years 9 months ago #72514

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 359
I guess you ran into a limit for sending emails on your host. Many hosts limit de number of mails you can send in a certain time to reduce spam from their servers. My guess would be that this is your case.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: one.com and limesurvey 2 years 9 months ago #72520

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
Please ask once.com if they did any changes to the server configuration.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: one.com and limesurvey 2 years 9 months ago #72528

• tvnewland
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks, it was indeed one.com.

We have recently changed the limit for mailout.one.com. If neither the sender address or recipient address is an existing address on the account, you can only send 20 mails per day (previously the limit was 250). The purpouse of the change is to stop spamming with scripts. When you send mail with scripts you SHOULD make sure that you use a sender address that exists on the account. If you do that, there is no limit at all. You can use the below url for a tool that check the email address:
www.rolosoft.com/software/email-check/wa/lite/validate.aspx

So I can't use my gmail account, but my email of my domain itself. Sounds logic, but quite important. SMTP settings aren't necessary, just the PHP (Default). Maybe something that can be put as a hint on the limesurvey documentation on sending mails?

Solved!

Thanks for the quick response!

Re: one.com and limesurvey 2 years 9 months ago #72537

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
You're welcome :-)

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to the team .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.tvnewland wrote:
Maybe something that can be put as a hint on the limesurvey documentation on sending mails?
Well, there is some documentation on sending emails in bacthes: docs.limesurvey.org/Tokens&structure=Eng...ding_emails_by_batch

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
Donation Image