Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expression Manager Web-Based Installation

Expression Manager Web-Based Installation 2 years 11 months ago #69997

• JHN
  • Fresh Lemon
Good morning,

I currently have a working version of LimeSurvey (version 1.91+, build 11379). I am working to setup a new LimeSurvey installation (new database, different root directory of installation files) using Expression Manager, and have referenced this website: docs.limesurvey.org/Expression+Manager#Getting_Started

I am able to go thru the web-based installation referenced on that website, and am able to input all credentials correctly (database location, username and password that has full permissions to that database, database type, etc. I am using MySQL version 5.0.51a). This SQL server also houses the working LimeSurvey installation, so I know the database connectivity is working correctly.

When I get to the page where it wants "optional credentials" (such as administrator name and email), I choose the "Next" button, but then I am redirected to a page that says "This page cannot be displayed". When I browse to the initial web-based installation setup page, it says "Installation Not Complete", and I have the option to start the installation from scratch. The installation DOES make the database and populates it, but I can't get the completion page to pop-up.

Is there something I am missing in a .php file somewhere in one of the folders (such as a modification that needs to be made)? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Expression Manager Web-Based Installation 2 years 11 months ago #70012

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
JHN-

This is a known problem with the CodeIgniter-branch installation. The installation is complete, but the system doesn't know it so the completion page never pops up.

The work-around is to simply navigate to http://<yourhostname>/<limesurvey_path>/index.php/admin and login using the credentials you set. It may tell you that you need to manually delete a file.

Also, please remember that Expression Manager is in alpha status for that branch. I'm nearly done with a full EM implementation that will become LimeSurvey version 1.92. EM will also be included in the Yii branch, which is the replacement for CodeIgniter.

Re: Expression Manager Web-Based Installation 2 years 11 months ago #70019

• JHN
  • Fresh Lemon
TMSWhite,

Thank you for your reply. I navigated back to <yourhostname>/<limesurvey_path>/index.php/admin, was prompted to delete the file located in the "tmp" folder (and did), and now I navigate back to <yourhostname>, and it says "Page Cannot Be Displayed". I've modified the config.php file to indicate my base URL, which is what I am trying to browse to at the moment. This URL exists in DNS.

Is there something else that I am missing? Also, when do you think a live version 1.92 will be available? Also, is there a version (alpha or beta) of 1.92 that is available for test download?

Thanks again for your help.

Re: Expression Manager Web-Based Installation 2 years 11 months ago #70040

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
I'm not sure if we can release Limesurvey 1.92 this year. You can set up a test system and check out the "limesurvey_dev_tms" branch for testing.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Expression Manager Web-Based Installation 2 years 11 months ago #70074

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
JHN -

Did you try <yourhostname>/<limesurvey_path>/index.php/admin after finishing your install?

Another possibility is that the CI branch may be under some flux since students are actively working on it for the Google Code In project.

I hope to be done with 1.92 in the next few days, but I've been saying that for 2 weeks now. If you really want to play with alpha/beta code, you can check out the limesurvey_dev_tms branch. As Mazi said, though, even if I finish quickly, the development team will want to test it before making it an official 1.92 release. However, I need it stable and production-ready for my own purposes before 12/15, so it will be (at least for the key functionality I need).

As of today, Group-by-Group mode is functional, with the following limitations:
(1) Assessments don't work - but EM makes them obsolete
(2) Some of the mandatory and validation pop-up messages don't work (but the mandatory/validation formulas do work

Question-by-Question and All-in-one modes have not been tested yet.

You can keep an eye on development status here, although I haven't updated it in a while.

FYI, I also want to be done with it prior to 12/16 so that we can have the GCI project forward port these changes up to the Yii branch.

Here is the survey I've been using for testing purposes:

EM Demo 2011-11-23.lss

-Tom
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by TMSWhite.

Re: Expression Manager Web-Based Installation 2 years 11 months ago #70461

• JHN
  • Fresh Lemon
Thank you guys for the help so far. I decided to scrap the CI branch and download the files from: limesurvey.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/l.../limesurvey_dev_tms/

I have followed the <a href='www.docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?p...tions+for+LimeSurvey'>installation</a> instructions, populated the database, and was able to verify that everything created successfully on the back-end. When I login to <yourhostname>/admin/admin.php (using the default values from the config.php file of "admin" and "password"), I receive the "Incorrect username and/or password" message. I have also tried to modify the config.php file to change the values to something different than "admin" and "password", but to no success.

Is there something that I am missing? Is it possible that when Limesurvey <a href='www.docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?p...tions+for+LimeSurvey'>installation</a> was populating the database, it did not insert the default admin credentials correctly?

Any help you guys could provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by JHN.

Re: Expression Manager Web-Based Installation 2 years 11 months ago #70510

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
Generally when installing Limesurvey for the first time, the credentials from config.php are used.
Later on changing these details in config.php has no effect.

Maybe you can use the "forgot password" feature: docs.limesurvey.org/General+FAQ&structur...._How_do_I_reset_it_

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds
Donation Image