Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)?

Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66753

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
I upgraded to 1.91 yesterday. I've noticed some strange behavior.

When I'm creating or editing a Question group or a Question, often the input boxes are missing. See the screenshot that I've attached for an example.

Sometimes it appears and quickly disappears, other times it never appears, and still other times it displays just fine.

I use normally Chrome, but I also tried it in IE9 with the same results.

I searched but couldn't find anything about this.

Any ideas?

~N
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66754

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 256
This looks very much like a caching problem. Could you try to load the file without caching.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66755

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
Holch -

I thought so too, so I cleared my cache and tried again. Same results, though.

Additionally, I rarely 9almost never) use IE, so there shouldn't have been any cache history.

I'm willing to pursue this though if I know more specifically what I should do.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Nebulous.

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66759

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hmmm, it usually when there is missing parts in the admin part, there is some file not loading or something. Probably the jquery files. But maybe someone else knows more in this case.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66771

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
Please try another PC/browser. I also think of a caching problem.

You can test if this also shows up at our online demo at demo.limesurvey.org/admin(external link) which always runs the latest Limesurvey version.
Username: admin
Password: test
If you can reproduce the problem there please report back.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66788

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
I could not reproduce the problem on the test system - though I thought it was going to happen. A dialog box would show, but quickly disappear, and then quickly appear again. By this I mean that it would disappear only for a flash, a split second.

So I tried Firefox on my own LS. I haven't used Firefox for at least a year, and only ever rarely, and never with LimeSurvey. Plus I upgraded it through several versions before testing. So, I don't think there could possibly be a cache issue with Firefox.

Still, I encountered the same problem.

I wonder if it had something to do with my upgrade of LimeSurvey from 1.90 (9642) to 1.91+(11026) yesterday?

jb

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66793

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
I think it is an update problem. I recommend to do another manual update to be sure al files are there.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66797

• Nebulous
  • Fresh Lemon
OK. But now I am at the end of my expertise.

I clicked a link at the time of my LS page that said an update was available because I had learned about a new question type that the newer version offered.

There was very little manual effort involved.

So you'll know where I am coming from, I'm an individual business owner. I am technically competent to a degree, but I don't live and breathe this stuff. I create and maintain my own company website using DreamWeaver, sometimes finding scripts and other code on the web and tweaking them, and I lease my Web server space at Dreamhost.

I say all that so you'll understand my level of competence/incompetence and so you'll know that I don't have an sysadmin I can turn to, etc.

I'm on my own, but I can usually do what I need to do with some guidance.

What should I do?

~N

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66798

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Updating manually is usually no problem. As Mazi said, there seems to be either a file missing or the new file isn't loaded after the update (that would be the caching problem). As you have tried several browsers already, it seems like we can exclude the caching problem.

So there is one other thing you can do to make sure you do have all necessary files: do a manual update. That should be described in the manual and isn't all that complicated.

Re: Field input boxes are sporadically missing in design mode. Bug in 1.91 (11026)? 2 years 6 months ago #66800

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Upgrading instructions can be found at docs.limesurvey.org/Upgrading+from+a+pre...tions+for+LimeSurvey

If you need further help you can ping me. I offer advanced (paid) support for such cases.

Dr. Marcel Minke
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Donation Image