• Page:

TOPIC: Automatic LimeSurvey update

Automatic LimeSurvey update 3 years 2 months ago #63483

• limelite
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Folks,

Zero Click Upgrade:

Please, find attached a [bash] script that runs automatically through cron and updates LimeSurvey application. You don’t even have to press a single button. A rollback script is also included in the attachment in case the update needs to roll back.

The two main scripts are:
i) Upgrade script: upgradeLimeSurveyV1.x.sh
ii) Rollback Script: rollbackLimeSurveyV1.x.sh

Upgrade Process:

We run this upgrade twice a year every second Tuesday of the months of July and December through a cron job . The cron job runs the following auto-update script: [b][i]upgradeLimeSurvey.sh[/i][/b] The script automatically downloads the latest limesurvey build release available and makes a backup of the limesurvey database as well as a backup of the current limesurvey application before upgrading to the latest build downloaded above. The backups can later be used in rolling back the application to previous stable state in case of an issue. This script sends an e-mail at the start of the auto-update script and another one after the LimeSurvey application is updated and the script run is complete. Any outputs [as well as any error messages encountered running the script] are attached to the bottom of the later e-mail. [b][u]Rollback Process:[/u][/b] If script runs smoothly without any issue, which is first confirmed by looking at the bottom of the later e-mail as well by a quick testing/QA of the LimeSurvey application being upgraded then you don’t have to do anything. All is done for you. If, however, you find that things are not quite right then you can easily rollback your application to the previous stable state by running the following script: [b][i]rollbackLimeSurveyV1.x.sh[/i][/b] This script and process has really worked very well for us. This is a zero-click LimeSurvey upgrade. [b][u]One-click upgrade:[/u][/b] For one-click upgrades just run the upgrade script: upgradeLimeSurveyV1.x.sh from the command line. Let us know if you’ve any questions. I’d like to thank my colleague Peter McCaskell for his patience and time while the script was being developed and tested. Enjoy. Lalit Jairath[file attached].

The cron job runs the following auto-update script:
upgradeLimeSurvey.sh

The script automatically downloads the latest limesurvey build release available and makes a backup of the limesurvey database as well as a backup of the current limesurvey application before upgrading to the latest build downloaded above. The backups can later be used in rolling back the application to previous stable state in case of an issue.

This script sends an e-mail at the start of the auto-update script and another one after the LimeSurvey application is updated and the script run is complete. Any outputs [as well as any error messages encountered running the script] are attached to the bottom of the later e-mail.

Rollback Process:

If script runs smoothly without any issue, which is first confirmed by looking at the bottom of the later e-mail as well by a quick testing/QA of the LimeSurvey application being upgraded then you don’t have to do anything. All is done for you.

If, however, you find that things are not quite right then you can easily rollback your application to the previous stable state by running the following script:

rollbackLimeSurveyV1.x.sh

This script and process has really worked very well for us. This is a zero-click LimeSurvey upgrade.

One-click upgrade:
For one-click upgrades just run the upgrade script: upgradeLimeSurveyV1.x.sh from the command line.

Let us know if you’ve any questions. I’d like to thank my colleague Peter McCaskell for his patience and time while the script was being developed and tested.

Enjoy.
Lalit Jairath
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by limelite. Reason: complete sentenace
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterantok, harshagile

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 3 years 1 month ago #63837

• peterantok
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks, it came handy. I was trying to upgrade from v1.87+ to v1.91+ manually, but I had problems. Using your tool some problems still remained, but I could identify them more easily.

3 problems the script didn't handle (fyi):
- I had to adjust the maximum memory allowed to allocate by php from 8MB to 32MB.
- I had to set permission of limesurvey/tmp to 777, to make the templates editable.
- Custom templates of v1.87 were in the directory limesurvey/templates/ and not in limesurvey/upload/templates/ so I copied them manually.

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 3 years 2 weeks ago #65109

• harshagile
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks
I have few question regarding on the updates.

I had integrated limesurvey on my project.

It's working fine.

It's done before 3 months ago.

Few days ago i have check on lime survey as there was few updates available which are not in old version.

So i want to make that changes on my old version.

So what is the way to integrate old to new version.

And yes i made few changes in limesurvey old files so is it easily posible to update or not ?

Please help me on this issue.

Thanks

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 3 years 2 weeks ago #65110

• harshagile
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi lemon
I need your help.
I had also limesurvey v1.81+ on my server.

Now i want to just update new version with old one.

So can you please guide me on this scenario to do make that changes easily.

Thanks

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 3 years 2 weeks ago #65117

• peterantok
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi, harshagile!

This topic is about regular and automatic updating of limesurvey by a special little tool developed by user limelite.

The official guide about updating limesurvey 1.xx can be found here: docs.limesurvey.org/Upgrading+from+a+pre...tions+for+LimeSurvey

You said that you made changes in limesurvey old files. If you mean you modified php code, then I think there is no way to make limesurvey detect your changes and keep them during the upgrade. You have to upgrade, and then copy your own code parts into the new version.

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 2 years 11 months ago #67039

• DomCoop
  • Fresh Lemon
Will this work for 1.71 to 1.91

If so, do I just copy the scripts to root and run?

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 2 years 11 months ago #67040

• peterantok
  • Fresh Lemon
Not exactly.

You should edit the script first, and set the directories, database username/password etc.

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 2 years 11 months ago #67041

• peterantok
  • Fresh Lemon
Otherwise it should work from 1.71 to 1.91.

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 2 years 11 months ago #67042

• DomCoop
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks.:) I have been trying to install 1.91, and followed all instructions but I get a 500 erro when I try to access /admin/install so am trying to update previous version instead

Re: Automatic LimeSurvey update 2 years 11 months ago #67044

• peterantok
  • Fresh Lemon
This may be helpful about error 500: www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/installation...8-with-iis7-resolved (Point #6) I didn't read it thoroughly, just seems to be similar.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by peterantok.
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Donation Image