Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Maybe a problem with my path having a "."

Maybe a problem with my path having a "." 3 years 9 months ago #52687

• dschwant
  • Fresh Lemon
I just installed LS v1.70 on apache w/ PHP/5.2.6.

I had a blank admin page after installation, so I followed the FAQ (docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...er_Database_Creation) and set the config.php $rootdir = '/home/MyDomainName/public_html/limesurvey';.

So, I hit the next problem in the FAQ (docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...check.php_on_line_76). The fix is suggestive, but not exact, as the path does not have a "(", ")" or "+".

This is the path that I think is a problem:

/usr/home/MyDomainName/domains/MyDomainName.com/public_html/limesurvey/admin/login_check.php

I am guessing, then, that the "." in the path is the problem. I don't think I can do anything about this path, as it is how my provider is set up. Any suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a 3 years 9 months ago #52688

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 812
dschwant wrote:
I just installed LS v1.70 on apache w/ PHP/5.2.6.

I am guessing, then, that the "." in the path is the problem. I don't think I can do anything about this path, as it is how my provider is set up. Any suggestions?
You really installed a 1.70 ?

If yes trye a 1.90 :)

I have dot in my username too, and no problem.

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a "." 3 years 9 months ago #52689

• dschwant
  • Fresh Lemon
Yes, you are right. Slip of the keyboard - I installed 1.90.

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a 3 years 9 months ago #52693

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 319
dschwant wrote:
I had a blank admin page after installation, so I followed the FAQ (docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...er_Database_Creation) and set the config.php $rootdir = '/home/MyDomainName/public_html/limesurvey';.

So, I hit the next problem in the FAQ (docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...check.php_on_line_76). The fix is suggestive, but not exact, as the path does not have a "(", ")" or "+".

This is the path that I think is a problem:

/usr/home/MyDomainName/domains/MyDomainName.com/public_html/limesurvey/admin/login_check.php

Your whole setup looks strange to me. Don't you have a domain for this site? Then this should be part of the rootdir.

And then you have two different paths for your rootdir here, which one is it?
/home/MyDomainName/public_html/limesurvey
or
/usr/home/MyDomainName/domains/MyDomainName.com/public_html/limesurvey

Look strange to me. Usually you don't need to change the first part of the rootdir in config.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a 3 years 9 months ago #52694

• dschwant
  • Fresh Lemon
First, yes I have a domain (let us just say it accessible at www.MyDomainName.com).

I set the config.php $rootdir = '/home/MyDomainName/public_html/limesurvey';.

The error message returned by trying to access the admin page is:

Fatal error: Call to a member function gT() on a non-object in /usr/home/MyDomainName/domains/MyDomainName.com/public_html/limesurvey/admin/login_check.php on line 180

Here is what I did: A plain install - copied the files, edited config.php, ran the install to create the database, deleted the install directory, and tried to run the admin page. That is when I got the blank page and did what the FAQ suggested. Then I got the error above.

Sorry it wasn't more clear.

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a 3 years 9 months ago #52697

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Are we talking about the $rootdir or the $rooturl?

Are you using IIS?

Usually you do not have to change much for $rootdir or $rooturl.

If you are not using the ISS, what happens when you change it to this?
$rooturl = "http://{$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']}/limesurvey";
$rootdir = dirname(__FILE__);

This should work in the majority of the cases (I never had to do anything else than to add the folder where I installed limesurvey in.

For the example above, Limesurvey would be installed in the folder www.mydomain.com/limesurvey/
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a 3 years 9 months ago #52698

• dschwant
  • Fresh Lemon
As I noted, I had to change the setting for $rootdir because the default (dirname(__FILE__)) caused the blank admin screen that the FAQ mentions.

It is not IIS (phpinfo() says "FreeBSD").

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a 3 years 9 months ago #52700

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
dschwant wrote:
As I noted, I had to change the setting for $rootdir because the default (dirname(__FILE__)) caused the blank admin screen that the FAQ mentions.

Well, I read that you had a black page, but are you sure that it was the dirname that caused this?
It is not IIS (phpinfo() says "FreeBSD").

OK, if you are running FreeBSD, than it is definitely not IIS, but probably Apache.

I asked, because I thought you must be running a IIS, because you were trying to change the dirname, as the Config says that you usually do not need to change it, but when you use IIS you need to change it.

$rootdir            =   dirname(__FILE__);  // This is the physical disk location for your limesurvey installation. Normally you don't have to touch this
                                            // setting. If you use IIS then you MUST enter the complete rootdir e.g. : $rootDir='C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\limesurvey'!
                                            // Some IIS and OS/2 installations also require to use forward slashes
                                            // instead of backslashes, e.g.  $rootDir='C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/limesurvey'!

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a 3 years 9 months ago #52701

• dschwant
  • Fresh Lemon
I don't know if it was the $rootdir that caused the blank page, but setting it fixed that issue and got me to the next one.

Re:Maybe a problem with my path having a 3 years 9 months ago #52831

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
Gern geschehen !

Wenn wir helfen konnten und du Limesurvey magst, schau doch mal, ob du uns eine kleine Spende zukommen lassen kannst.
Wir machen das hier alles in unserer Freizeit und das Programm ist absolut kostenlos.

Ohne eure Hilfe kann das Projekt nicht fortgeführt werden.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
  • Page:
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds
Donation Image