Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Installation on a new hard disk with old data

New Installation on a new hard disk with old data 3 years 5 months ago #52353

Hi everybody:

I have to change my 160 GB hard disk because bad sectors were invading it. I already have a new 320 GB and limesurvey 1.90 running on Ubuntu Server 10.10. The question is: How can I get or move old surveys and its data from old hard disk to the new one? I could not make exportation neither copy databases but folders are still there in the old hard disk which is installed as slave. I can browse folders but I don't know where exactly surveys and data are stored.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New Installation on a new hard disk with old data 3 years 5 months ago #52358

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 715
Hello,

Difficulty aren't to move LimeSurvey folder but the datatable of mysql. I think the best is to use mysqldump (www.manpagez.com/man/1/mysqldump/) to do the backup.
Backup database on a ftp server/usb disk/....

Actually, how you think you reinstall your ubuntu server ? I don't know how you can move whole server on another disk without reinstalling.

Re:New Installation on a new hard disk with old data 3 years 5 months ago #52399

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
You have to port the complete Limesurvey database. all data is stored in the database, only customized templates are found in /templates or /upload/templates.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re:New Installation on a new hard disk with old data 3 years 5 months ago #52402

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 40
granitosdepaz21 wrote:
I can browse folders but I don't know where exactly surveys and data are stored.

Since every linux distribution handles things a bit different your first stop are the ubuntu boards to look for help about transferring mysql files. I just looked up the info for ubuntu. I am using CentOS. But perhaps you can get the idea.

Config /etc/mysql/my.cnf
Default path for mysql files is /var/lib/mysql.
Subdirectory for every database. Tablenames should be used for files.

These files are only readable as root.

MyISAM tables are using suffixes myd, frm and myi
InnoDB tables ib_logfileXY, ibdataXY and idb.

Since you haven't got the old mysqld running you aren't able to export the data in a controlled way via mysqldump (at least to my knowledge.
As long as you didn't changed the architecture of the platform you have a good chance to use the files on the new mysql server.

You could use the www.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/ to reimport data. You could also install the same limesurvey version on the new server and then just try to overwrite the files after you shut down the mysqld to prevent locking of files.

For the future I would use a complete image backup strategy to save time.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by jelo.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
Donation Image