Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Allow respondents to preview and print out survey before starting

Allow respondents to preview and print out survey before starting 2 years 2 weeks ago #83281

• CrlyWrly
  • Junior Lime
I thought, from the description of Limesurvey features, that it was possible for respondents to preview and print out survey. Until I started testing my survey and could not see any options for a respondent to preview and/or print the survey.

Then I searched and found the workaround, which I assume is only for the Limesurvey self-hosted version, rather than the hosted version on LimeService:

docs.limesurvey.org/Workarounds%3A+Furth..._page_for_any_survey

Could I also suggest that when describing features that it is made clear whether a feature is available to:
  • the survey designer only
  • survey respondents only
  • both survey designer and respondents

Limesurvey is better than alternative survey services in describing the experience of the survey respondent - some just don't mention this at all.

However, it would avoid confusion if this was always made clear.

I am going to have to do some extra work that I had not expected, in order to make the whole survey available to respondents before they start answering questions :S

Best wishes,
Liz
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Allow respondents to preview and print out survey before starting 2 years 2 weeks ago #83289

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 287
Hi Liz,

There is an option to get a printable version of the survey. If you create a PDF of that, you can make it available as a download on the Welcome page of your survey. It is not a lot of work and would provide an overview and a printable version.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Allow respondents to preview and print out survey before starting 2 years 2 weeks ago #83290

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
By the way: The documentation of Limesurvey is a Wiki, which means anyone can add things and improve the information already provided.

This project needs the help of the users.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Allow respondents to preview and print out survey before starting 2 years 2 weeks ago #83306

• CrlyWrly
  • Junior Lime
Hi Holch.

Many thanks for the reply.

I had already tried generating a print-out and while that works it is rather messy as the page breaks come in strange places.

I tried selecting all the preview page and copying and pasting into an rtf file and that is even messier in some ways and needs a lot of tidying up to make it "presentable".

Is there a technical reason why respondents could not be given the option to preview the whole survey?

I am trialling a pilot survey at the moment would not want the preview to be public, so I would have to password protect an uploaded file and respondents would have to leap through that hurdle too. In the circumstances, the best workaround would be for me to email a "preview" to invited respondents - but it will take me a bit of work to tidy it the preview first :S

I take your point about contributing via the wiki - something for the future :-)

Thank you again for your reply and suggestions,
Best wishes,
Liz

Re: Allow respondents to preview and print out survey before starting 2 years 2 weeks ago #83323

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
The print version certainly is not the prettiest one, but when you download it as html and then open it in Word, it should be pretty simple to include some page breaks and formatting and then export it as PDF. Maybe that helps a little.

Actually I can't say much about the print/preview issue. I have never used it and don't see it as a major importance for me and my projects. And I guess this is also the issue why this doesn't seem to be possible (maybe it is - maybe someone else can skip in here). If the developers don't see a big demand, then things like this will be on the end of the list of things to implement, while other functions have a higher priority.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CrlyWrly

Re: Allow respondents to preview and print out survey before starting 2 years 2 weeks ago #83338

• CrlyWrly
  • Junior Lime
Thanks Hoch - I was wondering about that method as an option but it seemed a bit or a long way around if it could be done within the survey itself.

I understand that little-used features will be at the bottom of the development list. It is a bit circular though - if "pretty print-outs" were an option then they might be used more?

I have got another question about "off-line" survey completion so I will ask that separately if I can't find the answer :-)

Best wishes,
Liz

Best wishes,
Liz
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
Donation Image