Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70147

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
Hello,

what will happen if you use
[a href="shorturl"]original long url description[/a]
and the recipient can only read "no html/text only" e-mails or has switched mode to something like "text-mode, -> Switch to HTML-Mode"?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Aw: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70173

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
JEfromCanada wrote:
vierundzwanzig wrote:
In response to a request from Mazi, here is the link to my idea.

ideas.limesurvey.org/ideatorrent/idea/353/
Idea approved.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70209

• JEfromCanada
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 3
vierundzwanzig wrote:
Hello,

and the recipient can only read "no html/text only" e-mails or has switched mode to something like "text-mode, -> Switch to HTML-Mode"?

If they are not using html, they should still see a clickable link in the first part of the message (underlined), but the description will look hokey. And I suppose if a client is reading in text-only mode, the problem they have with clicking on links is going to be out of my control no matter what I do.

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70224

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
JEfromCanada wrote:
vierundzwanzig wrote:
Hello,

If they are not using html, they should still see a clickable link in the first part of the message (underlined), but the description will look hokey. And I suppose if a client is reading in text-only mode, the problem they have with clicking on links is going to be out of my control no matter what I do.

Well, I think that's the reason why some people try to use "raw"-links like http://localhost/ instead of [a href="http://localhost/"]localhost[/a]. There seem to be less problems with this than with the html-counterpart. Perhaps you misunderstood, even within "text-only" e-mails "raw"-links seem to work. If it's not possible in a programm/webmail-service to click on the links at all than you're right, you can't do anything against this problem (but first case seems to more realistic, I can't remeber seeing a mail program/webmail-service that can't show "raw"-links).
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70377

• JEfromCanada
  • Junior Lime
I have completed and tested the changes required to implement the SHORTSURVEYURL and SHORTOPTOUTURL feature.

If anyone would like to apply the patch to their build 11379, please feel free to take the enclosed attachment. The zip file contains only the files that need to be updated (in their correct folder location); as well as renamed copies of the ORIGINAL components, in case you wish to return to the unmodified version of the build.

I would appreciate any feedback you have regarding the patch.

Thank you.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey-idea-353.zip
File Size: 230 KB

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70413

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Please follow instructions at docs.limesurvey.org/How+to+contribute+new+features and post the link to the new bugtracjker ticket here afterwards.

Thanks!

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70457

• JEfromCanada
  • Junior Lime
I'm trying to follow instructions. I installed TurtleSVN and wanted to create a new item in the bug tracker under "User Patches", as described in the link you provided.

However, it's a bit confusing. On the one hand, they want you to fill out a description of the problem and programming approach BEFORE starting to write code. And on the other hand, they want you to upload the patch file as well.

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70481

• JEfromCanada
  • Junior Lime
I've created a user patch associated with this ticket:

bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=5621

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #70506

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
Thanks, we'll have a look.

Dr. Marcel Minke

Re: Ability to call a URL shortening service when generating invitation emails 2 years 7 months ago #71180

• jun9
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 1
How about setup your own URL shortener service like: yourls code.google.com/p/yourls/ (GNU GPL v3)

Then you may want to consider how to integrate with Limesurvey, but shouldn't be difficult to create a interface in Limesurvey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
Donation Image