Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Global Find and Replace

Global Find and Replace 2 years 5 months ago #69812

Hello,

I would like to float the idea of a global find and replace function that can search through questions and answers in order to replace text.

This might work like the find and replace in word processors or text editors.

At the moment it is possible do achieve something like it by exporting a survey, then opening the exported file in an editor and doing a find and replace. This can work very well. In some cases it would not be as good - for example when some text of the to-be-replaced instances of text is formatted and some is not.

With many thanks,

Sacha
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: Global Find and Replace 2 years 4 months ago #69931

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
Hello,

I think your idea is good. You would be able to use a Global Find and Replace feature to change the question/answer text of multiple questions/answers without deactivating the survey (in a running survey a few days ago I had to change some identical help messages which took quite long).

But I'm not sure if this feature is easy to implent or if it would increase the server load. Perhaps you have to check multile database tables and search them for the questions/answers your looking for, then writing the changes made into the tables.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team

Re: Global Find and Replace 2 years 4 months ago #69934

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 256
I second this. I know this feature from Globalpark and it is really handy. However, you need to have a good mask for the changes, because sometimes you might want to change a certain word and in some cases not. So there must be the option to exclude parts from the replacement.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Global Find and Replace 2 years 4 months ago #70023

• Mazi
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
This is definitely a useful feature but I consider it quite hard to implement.

One solution I can think of is a simple input field where you can add the search strinbg and also select a survey from a dropdown. Then the script searches the related DB columns (these will be a lot) and presents a list of instances. Then you can have another text where you can input the replace string and select the strings from the list which should be updated.

holch: Can you explain and maybe even post some screen shots how this is done at global parc?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Global Find and Replace 2 years 2 months ago #73669

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 256
Good that this spam message came in here, I totally had forgotton about this thread.

First of all, the search & replace function in Globalpark is survey based and not totally global. I think it won't be necessary to go over the whole Limesurvey installation. Usually it is some kind of wording the client wants different or was written wrong or a brand name has to be changed, but this is usually the case for one survey and not the whole installation. But of course it has to include all texts visible in the survey like questions, explanations, answers, tooltips, etc.

In global park you have a little search field, then they list in a table all the occurences together with the identification (e.g Question number) and some text around it, so that you can identify. Then you specify which of those occurences you want to change, and which shouldn't be changed.

Then you specify to what it should be changed and there you go...
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Global Find and Replace 2 years 2 months ago #73673

• Mazi
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
Sounds like a nice feature. Can you add this as a feature request at our feature tracker . Please describe your idea as detailed as possible and try to outline a suitable solution/implementation as well.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
Donation Image