Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Show/Hide the question in the printed report

Show/Hide the question in the printed report 3 years 2 months ago #62536

• Ben_V
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 239
It could be great to get the possibility to hide a question with its related answer when printing the final report, the same way that the 'Show in public statistics' checkbox does...
Benoît

goo.gl/Bw5iM => Recherche GG dans le forum français (remplacer "exemple" dans la barre de recherche)
goo.gl/WX8PH => GG search for english forum (Replace "example" in the search bar)
goo.gl/IxiGu => Búsqueda en el foro en español (Cambiar "ejemplo" en la barra de...
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Ben_V.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Show/Hide the question in the printed report 3 years 2 months ago #62574

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
How do you envision doing that?

Options that come to mind include:
(1) Have screen for the final report showing the list of questions asked with checkboxes next to each - so you could uncheck the ones you don't want to show (and that would get processed internally by the function that outputs to {ANSWERTABLE}?

(2) Have two functions (available via ExpressionManager):
(a) showAllResponsesExcept(questionList,attributeList,attributeTitleList)
(b) showTheseResponses(questionList,attributeList,attributeTitleList)

where
(a)questionList = pipe-delimited list of question identifiers
(b)attributeList = pipe-delimited list of attributes (like question#, title, text, type - so you can decide what to show)
(c)attributeTitleList = pipe-delimited list of <th> table headers, so can internationalize the report.

This way, you could embed interim reports to the user summarizing responses from prior questions (and/or provide tailored advice).

FYI, I'm working on approach #2 as part of issue 5103

Re: Show/Hide the question in the printed report 3 years 2 months ago #62605

• Ben_V
  • Platinum Lime
Hi TMSWHITE,

When I wrote this post I had in mind a simple chexkbox added in the question advanced settings tab
(as 'Show the tip' or 'Show in public statistics').

Your idea (approach #1) to have a screen for the final report is better, because it will probably add the possibility to filter out some other (header) fields included into the {ANSWERTABLE} like 'id', 'ipaddr', 'refurl', etc. (cf. printanswer.php file)

That's sure that your approach #2 looks more complete but I don't know if finally we will get a 'common-user friendly' feature !

Regards
Ben.
Benoît

goo.gl/Bw5iM => Recherche GG dans le forum français (remplacer "exemple" dans la barre de recherche)
goo.gl/WX8PH => GG search for english forum (Replace "example" in the search bar)
goo.gl/IxiGu => Búsqueda en el foro en español (Cambiar "ejemplo" en la barra de...

Re: Show/Hide the question in the printed report 3 years 2 months ago #62836

• Ben_V
  • Platinum Lime
Tom,
I have read conscienciously the cited issue and installed your "Test of Expression Manager" ( and its "monstrous third page") and I have to say that I am very impressed with the control that the "Expression Manager" can give to a survey and the big step it suppose for conditional branching features. CHAPEAU!

Following with printed features: :silly:
Into the {ANSWERTABLE}, the answer column include both answer and [answercode].
<td class='printanswersanswertext'> No [0]</td>
For those doing evaluated questionnaires it will be a considerable improvement to get instead/with the [answercode] the assessment value for each answer.

(For the moment the only easy way to do this is to use the number of given points as [answercode]… The BIG problem is that you can only use alphanumerical characters (and underscore) so you can't use negative values ! )
Benoît

Re: Show/Hide the question in the printed report 3 years 2 months ago #62858

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
Benitov-

If you can't enter negative values for answercode, you might want to issue a bug report. That might actually become an enhancement request, since the answer code becomes part of the SGQA name, so the functions that generate the SGQA name would have to replace non-aphanumeric characters with underscores to ensure that they are valid database column names. Howevever, I could imagine people wanting to have [answercode] values that are either negative or decimal.

As to showing the answercode value in printouts, as you saw from ExpressionManager, I'm using a dot notation to get selected properties from the question. Currently, I have .code, and .value. If there are other properties people need, I could easily add them.

/Tom

Re: Show/Hide the question in the printed report 3 years 2 months ago #62866

• Ben_V
  • Platinum Lime
Tom,
Thanks a lot for your prompt and hopeful answer.

Basically I don't really want to use negative values as answercode (just better than nothing) and I prefer dreaming for getting the possibility to see the assessment values displayed into the {ANSWERTABLE}

Like this:
my_dream.gif

Regards
Benoît
Benoît

Re: Show/Hide the question in the printed report 3 years 2 months ago #62873

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
Benoit-

That layout is exactly the sort of layout I was envisioning for those two ExpressionManager functions:
(a) showAllResponsesExcept(questionList,attributeList,attributeTitleList)
(b) showTheseResponses(questionList,attributeList,attributeTitleList)

A key challenge for LimeSurvey with these functions, however, is that it may be hard to create a GUI for them. I'm advocating for letting Expert Users have access to such features, even if there is no GUI for them. Then, if demand for them increases (and volunteers with GUI expertise become available), an appropriate GUI could be built to support the full range of LimeSurvey users.

At a minimum, I'm making sure that there is comprehensive error checking and reporting so that if an expert mis-types one of those functions, their survey won't blow up.

Shorter-term, however, if you have strong need for that type of {ANSWERTABLE} layout, you could clone the code that creates the ANSWERTABLE layout, augment it with the assessment value, create an {ANSWERTABLE2} field, and add a substitution line to templatereplace().

Re: Show/Hide the question in the printed report 3 years 2 months ago #62909

• Ben_V
  • Platinum Lime
Tom,
Thanks for the advice about {ANSWERTABLE2}…It looks like an acceptable solution.

About the GUI, I share your opinion that it doesn't seem so necessary at the first time, and I really hope that I could be pretty soon a good LS-Expression-Manager suffering beta tester.
So keep on "advocating".

Ben.
Benoît

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds
Donation Image