Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 3 years 2 months ago #60792

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
Yes, I assume that similar topics is nothing that can be done automatically. But maybe if you can exclude people who took certain surveys, that will do the trick.

"The making good use..." part is handle by the custom attributes that can be filled by surveys I think. I had written it before I saw Mazis post, even if it is before my post.

So far this sounds very promising to me.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 3 years 2 months ago #60794

Yes, I assume that similar topics is nothing that can be done automatically. But maybe if you can exclude people who took certain surveys, that will do the trick.

I think just joining the surveys field in the display participant will do the needful, but we do need to discuss how to show multiple surveys, I think it will be best to discuss it in the next meeting :)
So far this sounds very promising to me.

Thank you :).

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 3 years 1 month ago #61994

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 52
What is the current status of the Closed-Loop Opt-in AKA Double Opt-in AKA
Confirmed Opt-In (COI) feature? If a registration is done by user via email and he/she receives emails the Closed-Loop Opt-in process is a must.

In the chat of the first meeting the question
but isn't registration related to surveys, not the cpdb?
was asked.

The Confirmed Opt-In has to be done by every kind of registration via email.

Beside from the compliance with law it is the only way to prevent wrong emails and keep a basic quality. To comply with law a easy Opt-Out function is a must too.

A big issue with collecting participants is keeping up with the source of the contact data. If you import data from different source it would useful to have a few attributes which contain information about the source of the participant data.

Would be interesting to know if a new unified registration process will be considered or survey (token) registration and central participants database
will implemented in a "mashed" way.

Is the aim of central participants database to act as access panel with quotation and sampling?

The current token management could be seen as the participants database (surveywide). The difference is between a personalized survey and a panelbased (central participants database) survey.
The main difference between these two is that the central participants database allows sampling and quotation.

Access to surveys can be restricted via token and with a participant databases (not important if central or on the surveylevel) via username/password. This allows new kind of participant types like tester or translator which usually need to browse through the survey many times.
New features could be based checking that participant status. Translator gets a textbox beside every item to translate the questionnaire. The "tester" gets a textbox to give feedback for the questionnaire designer. The feedback of different "testers" will be aggregated and shown in the questionnaire designe

Thanks for reading. Just a bit of loud thinking.

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 3 years 1 month ago #61999

What is the current status of the Closed-Loop Opt-in AKA Double Opt-in AKA
Confirmed Opt-In (COI) feature? If a registration is done by user via email and he/she receives emails the Closed-Loop Opt-in process is a mus

It is on our list, but we are concentrating on making the initial system work first and these feature will come in the later duration of the project.
A big issue with collecting participants is keeping up with the source of the contact data. If you import data from different source it would useful to have a few attributes which contain information about the source of the participant data.
We can always use additional attribute for it.
Would be interesting to know if a new unified registration process will be considered or survey (token) registration and central participants database will implemented in a "mashed" way.

The central registration system is not on the list, but extending the token registration to take additional attribute is. Yeah we are supporting the participants to be added to and fro from the central table to token table.
Is the aim of central participants database to act as access panel with quotation and sampling?

Yeah and sharing.
Access to surveys can be restricted via token and with a participant databases (not important if central or on the surveylevel) via username/password. This allows new kind of participant types like tester or translator which usually need to browse through the survey many times.
New features could be based checking that participant status. Translator gets a textbox beside every item to translate the questionnaire. The "tester" gets a textbox to give feedback for the questionnaire designer. The feedback of different "testers" will be aggregated and shown in the questionnaire designers
Nice idea, but I don't think it is on the list for now, but later if time permits, yeah.

Thank you :)

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 3 years 4 days ago #63907

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
A quote from the meetinglogs
docs.limesurvey.org/CPDB+Meeting+Logs
about my request form recording the source of the contact for every panel member.
[14:05] <Mazi> jasebo, do you think we need this additional information?
[14:05] <jasebo> why would it matter? What's the difference between knowing someone was added by CSV, and someone else was added manually?
[14:05] <jasebo> apart from knowing the second one took longer
[14:05] <jasebo> ?
[14:06] <Mazi> that's what I think, too. I vote for putting it on the "we do that if we really have some time left" list

It such a field important?
It depends on how you import the contact data.
Is the contact data always prepare in a csv file where every contact is from the same source? If yes, than such a field is not needed.

If contacts are from mixed sources and sometime only a few participants are added and not presorted by source such a field is very useful.

E.g. in German law you need to able to tell the participant where you got his contact details from? ( §34 I Nr.1 BDSG ).

I hope we will see a broader discussion when the first release is ready for testing. Thanks for your hard work (Aniessh and mentors).

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 3 years 4 days ago #63915

• jcleeland
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Jelo,

It's a good point you make.

Since the CPDB has a very flexible "attributes" feature which allows any type of record to be stored against an individual, I figure that "source" can just be an extra attribute.

So, when you import your CSV data you can import an extra column with whatever data you like. In this case, it would be the source data - and that would become an attribute of the participants, in the same way that "gender" or "age" is.

I prefer this way because it saves having to worry about what particular items are needed for different jurisdictions/countries.

Definitely we should look at all of these issues once the final release is ready for testing. I hope that what Aniessh is producing will be the base for a growing system!

Jason Cleeland
Last Edit: 3 years 4 days ago by jcleeland.

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 2 years 11 months ago #65021

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 291
Hi All,
During this year’s Google Summer of Code aniesshsethh worked for Limesurvey on the Central Participants Database project. The project is ready to be tested:
For those who don't want to use the cool new installer we just developed: you can use the online demo at
URL: devdemo.limesurvey.org/index.php/admin/authentication/login
User: admin
Password: test

If you want to have a look at the next Limesurvey version including this project you can check out the CI branch using the URL limesurvey.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/l...source/limesurvey_ci.

We encourage you to check out this new feature and test it by creating users, importing/exporting participants, adding attributes and the like. Please let us know if any issues arise.

All bugs and suggestions for improvements referring to the Central Participants Database project (direct URL: devdemo.limesurvey.org/index.php/admin/participants) can be assigned to Aniessh Sethh (aniesshsethh) at the bugtracker (bugs.limesurvey.org/).

If you have questions about a certain feature, please check out the documentation (docs.limesurvey.org/Central+Participants+Database) and if it isn't clear, try to contact user Aniessh, Jason or Mazi on our IRC: www.limesurvey.org/en/support/live-chat

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Mazi. Reason: ATTENTION: Password changed from "password" to "test"

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 2 years 11 months ago #65024

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
When accessing the online demo I get

An Error Was Encountered
Unable to load the requested file: admin/Authentication/login.php

The direct URL to the CPD is redirecting to the URL
devdemo.limesurvey.org/index.php/admin/authentication/login

with the same error as above.

My post can be deleted if error is no longer occurring.

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 2 years 11 months ago #65025

Hey Jelo,

It's fixed now.

Thanks

Aniessh Sethh

Re: GSoC 2011: Central Participants Database 2 years 11 months ago #65026

• jelo
  • Platinum Lime
Thanks. The warning "Warning: You are still using the default password ('password'). Please change your password and re-login again." is popping up every time you change the menu. Would be nice to change the password to a nonstandard one or suppressing the warning for the demo.

No real problem.

The Blacklist control seems to be nonfunctional at the moment.
devdemo.limesurvey.org/index.php/admin/p...nts/blacklistControl
Haven't found any hint in the wiki about if that is work in progress or a bug in the demo.

First impression is nice, responsive gui. No real WTF situation.

The wording is a bit mixed. "Central Participants Database" and "Participants Panel". Would stick to the CPD (even though it sounds a bit technical). The word panel might arouse expectations about functionality.

Lot of work done by the Aniessh. Congratulation. You have survived the coding hell of Jason and Mazi ;-)
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by jelo.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Donation Image