Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android?

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 years 4 months ago #58698

• godi
  • Fresh Lemon
Hi,
Thanks for this software!!
Do you know if an android version would be available in the future?
Thks!
Godi.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 years 1 month ago #61819

• Helenmd
  • Junior Lime
I'd be interested in mobile versions of this, be it android, windows mobile, iphone etc.

Re: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 years 1 month ago #61898

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 286
What do you mean with mobile version? Running the whole application on a smart phone or access the surveys via a smart phone?

The second options should already be possible today, with the right template and taking the limitations of mobile phones into account at the time when you create the survey. Of course this means you need internet access on the phone all the time.

For the first option I don't see that this will come any time soon. You would need to be able to install a webserver with php/mysql support on the mobile phone. Not impossible I guess, but...
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 years 1 month ago #61950

• godi
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks for your answer.

I was thinking about the first option (running application on a smartphone), because my mobile devices could not connect to Internet.

So, I guess I will try to solve Internet connection issue :)

Re: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 years 1 month ago #62109

• Helenmd
  • Junior Lime
Thanks. I was referring to the option to complete a survey from a smartphone.

Re: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 years 1 month ago #62128

• blfesper
  • Fresh Lemon
godi,

Just a thought... If the devices have no connectivity, each device would need LS installed with the appropriate servers, but because each would have its own database, there would be no way for you to aggregate the data centrally.

I don't think it would serve your purposes. :)

Get the devices connected and create a mobile compatible template, and you would, I believe, get the results you really need.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by blfesper.

Re: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 2 years 5 months ago #73706

• Ahmie
  • Fresh Lemon
same request here. Sometimes I am trying to conduct survey research where there is no internet signal, such as in the middle of a multilevel mall. I am also using a wifi-only tablet to allow respondents to take the survey so I would have to tether to my phone (which doesn't get a signal in the specific area I'm trying to conduct some product survey research). An app that allows offline filling out of surveys and then uploading them is exactly what I need. Competition charges a LOT for this but only connects to their own servers. I would be willing to pay a reasonable one-time amount for such an app (I'm a grad student so my idea of reasonable may not be the same as a developers! Try to stick near the median non-free app price, eh?).

My thoughts: it would have to be able to access at admin level, download the full survey, then upload responses (CSV?) to the same survey once internet connection was re-established. Not sure if this would require server-end software adaption also to bring in the additional data, or if it can be configed to work with the paper survey input part (which I've never used - I'm dyslexic, the primary reason I want to use electronic survey tools is to remove as much of the error from my dyslexia as possible).

Ahmie

Re: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 2 years 5 months ago #73709

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Your tablet should have enough power to install XAMPP, so you would have the database, web server, PHP, etc. all on the tablet. You could then export the results you collect and aggregate them centrally. The only trick is ensuring that (1) your survey name (ID) is the same across multiple tablets and the central sever, and (2) that your ID numbers don't clash.

Not sure if others have done this, but like to hear how they've accomplished this with LimeSurvey.

Re: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 2 years 5 months ago #73710

• Ahmie
  • Fresh Lemon
You rock. That sounds possibly a tad above my tech skills but i have a few IT guys who owe me favors (plus on my short term to do list is setting up a local hour swap community). Will forward your advice on & see what they can do. Perhaps one of them can go from that to creating an actual app for the community here. Fwiw i am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus on (currently) unrooted Honeycomb, will be upgrading to ICS as soon as officially available.

Aw: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 2 years 5 months ago #73733

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
Hello,

perhaps this might be of any use:
paw-android.fun2code.de/

It seems to be a webserver for andoird and a php plugin seems to exist. So the only thing missing is a database.

If I'm correct Andoird apps use Java as base. If you want to build a LimeSurvey like interface you might (in the worst case) have to develop the whole survey taking logic/GUI yourself. I don't think creating a csv file with Java is a big problem (I had done it myself in a fan project) but as mentioned the survey taking logic/GUI might be much work.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Donation Image