Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Randomize questions, question & answer groups

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #53263 by jelo
c_schmitz wrote:

The advantage is that the so randomized questions can span across different question groups (in fact the implementation is not related to question groups at all).

So I got the wrong impression from the example survey. I overlooked
the different group name and didn't realized the different wording "Randomization Group Name"

That way it is a fine idea. I am sorry that I didn't catch that.

Is there a way to get a overview of the defined randomization groups.

Perhaps a feature request to get a overview of conditions,mandatory,randomization etc. I use the print version to check these things.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by jelo.
The topic has been locked.
More
13 years 3 months ago #53277 by jelo
holch wrote:
I also agree that the randomization of question groups would be the more important one, as there are several survey designs that might require this. But I assume that it is more complicated to randomize question groups, than to randomize questions, otherwise they would probably have implemented it first.[/quote]

Perhaps the concept of these randomization groups (which are a collection of questions as I learned) can be done more common. Tagging questions with different collection names and apply certain functions like randomization to these collections. Collections of Collections. Not sure if the current data structure can be used to allow such collections at ease.

The current randomization feature seems to be useful and not that seldom.
I still see matrix questions about a range of products. And matrix questions in a row are bad as hell the randomization prevents that the results cause too much damage ;-)

• holch
  • holch's Avatar Topic Author
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
13 years 3 months ago #53280 by holch
> And matrix questions in a row are bad as hell
> the randomization prevents that the results cause too much damage

Well, this is more of a even distribution of bad results, isn't it. While it is something you might want to do if there is no other way, I highly recommend all researchers to generally improve the way they ask people, because what is the point of asking questions, where you already know that the results will be bad anyway? I know, some clients really insist, but...

;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
11 years 4 months ago #87478 by spacejanitor
Replied by spacejanitor on topic Randomize questions, question & answer groups

holch wrote: Due to quite frequent requests in the forum, I would like to see the possibility to randomize questions, question groups and if possible answer groups (which do not exist yet, but see www.limesurvey.org/en/support/forums/20-...option-group-headers ).

It should be possible to define a group of questions, and those question should be possible to randomize.

Example:

Q1
Q2
Q3a
Q3b
Q3c
Q4
Q5

So the different Q3 questions should be randomized, while the order of the rest stays the same:

Q1, Q2 -start randomize- Q3b/Q3a/Q3c -stop randomize- Q4

The same thing should be possible with groups of questions, example:

Q1
Q2a,b,c
Q3a,b,c
Q4a,b,c
Q5

So this could look like this:
Q1 -start randomize- Q4a,b,c - Q3a,b,c - Q2a,b,c -stop randomize- Q5.

Ideally the questions within the group should be possible to randomize as well (see above).

Just wondering - how much of this has now been implemented in LimeSurvey 2.00+?

1. I see on the "Edit Group" page there is now an option, "Randomization group". Does this mean that groups can now be shuffled?
  2. I see on the "Edit Question" page there is now an option: 'Get order from previous question.' This is a great feature. Is there any way to implement that at the GROUP level? So that if Group 1 was randomized in X order, Group 2 can also inherit this order?

I'm a call centre and market research technology consultant, lead/sample provider, and panel broker.

I'm also the co-founder and former IT Director of Winning Research Ltd. - LimeSurvey helped the company become a multi-million dollar company within just a few years!
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #180824 by Mazi

spacejanitor wrote: Just wondering - how much of this has now been implemented in LimeSurvey

We have outlined all Limesurvey randomization options at How to randomize items at Limesurvey .

There are also some sample survey we created for demonstrating the various randomization options. Here are some links:

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by Mazi. Reason: Added link to blog post
  • holch
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #180828 by holch
Please note that Mazi's links are referring to LS 3.x, not LS 2.0. You should not be using LS 2.0 at this point of time. It is not supported anymore and there have been a couple of versions in between already. You should really update to a recent version of Limesurvey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #180838 by jelo

holch wrote: You should not be using LS 2.0 at this point of time. It is not supported anymore and there have been a couple of versions in between already. You should really update to a recent version of Limesurvey.

Well, the post is 6 years and 3 months old and the user hasn't visited the LimeSurvey forum in the last 7 years.

• holch
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #180839 by holch
Oh man, I actually thought it was something like that and looked when this was posted, but I must have looked at the time mazi had posted his post here. To a 1000 year old post (internet years).

Anyway, if someone reads this: don't use limesurvey 2.00+ in 2019. ;-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose