Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: LimeSurvey 2.0 - new features and developer comments?

LimeSurvey 2.0 - new features and developer comments? 2 years 2 months ago #81221

Hi everyone,

I just published a quick blog post about LimeSurvey 2 RC2 being released, but realized there isn't really a concise spec of the new features and major changes between the previous LS and LS2. I checked out: docs.limesurvey.org/Limesurvey+2.0+-+New...meSurvey+development

but it's pretty empty.

Any idea when this might be updated, or perhaps there's a better location to check for this?

Thanks,

Mark
I'm a call centre and market research technology consultant, lead/sample provider, and panel broker.

I'm also the co-founder and former IT Director of Winning Research Ltd. - LimeSurvey helped the company become a multi-million dollar company within just a few years!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: LimeSurvey 2.0 - new features and developer comments? 2 years 2 months ago #81229

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Mark-

Could you please correct your blog post. Expression Manager and all the features you described about were available starting in LimeSurvey version 1.92 (released March, 2012).

So, ironically, most of the feature changes for LimeSurvey occurred between 1.91 and 1.92. 1.92 is a complete re-write of the survey-taking portion of LS, with the addition of all of the Expression Manager-related features. These posts (here, here, and here) provide details of the new features in 1.92, plus links to documentation and an extensive new library of sample surveys.

LimeSurvey 2.0 is primarily an architectural re-write of the administration screens to utilize the Yii framework to make LS better follow the Model-View-Controller design pattern. It also includes the new Central Participant Database, a nice drag-and-drop GUI for re-ordering questions/groups, and group-level randomization.

Re: LimeSurvey 2.0 - new features and developer comments? 2 years 2 months ago #81231

Thank you for your observation - I've noted this and added a link to show the list of revisions.

However, I did state that 2.0 would be the first major revision to make use of Expression Manager.
I'm a call centre and market research technology consultant, lead/sample provider, and panel broker.

I'm also the co-founder and former IT Director of Winning Research Ltd. - LimeSurvey helped the company become a multi-million dollar company within just a few years!

Re: LimeSurvey 2.0 - new features and developer comments? 2 years 2 months ago #81235

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Thanks, Mark.

Good point. Users should expect that 1.91 to 1.92 is a minor revision and that 1.92 to 2.0 is a major revision. However, 1.91 to 1.92 is actually a major revision itself. However, the team had already started on the 2.0 branch when I built EM into 1.92. So, although it would have been more technically accurate to call 1.92 2.0, and to call 2.0 3.0, we thought that would confuse people too much since there were already certain features expected of 2.0 (like Central Participants Database and the MVC refactoring), that I didn't try to incorporate into 1.92.

The bottom line is that if people want to use EM, 1.92+ has been stable for production use since March. There is no need to wait for 2.0.

/Tom

Re: LimeSurvey 2.0 - new features and developer comments? 2 years 2 months ago #81236

Thanks for the clarification, Tom!

Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
Donation Image