Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fresh layout

Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #79818

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 319
Hi!

I saw on the frontpage that there seems to be a fresh layout for LS 2.0. I checked and is not in the LS 2.0b1 included.

Is there a way to have a look at this?

The icons look great, but I have the impression that the green is very, very dominant and as it is a very strong color, it doesn't seem to be very nice to the eyes.

I am referring to this image:

In my opinion, the very strong green should be used in all and everything, but for highlighting a few elements.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #79821

• c_schmitz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 111
Hi!

It will be available in 2.0 beta2. Well, designs are always a matter of taste, so in addition to the new design you will be be able to choose two older designs, too.
Also there will be a way to set which design to use in the global settings. If you don't like the colors you could always copy/modify an existing design. The icons from the new 'gringegreen' theme are all unicolor so recoloring them using a tool like imagemagick is possible.

We used money from the fundraiser to make this design change (so: Thank you, donators!), but in general so far the fundraiser has been rather slow. In the end the people decide by their donations how quickly we can progress - last but not least this affects some features in 2.0 and almost all new features in 2.1.
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!

Re: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #79825

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hi Carsten,

Thank you for getting back on this. Of course design is a matter of taste, but there are a few principles for good design, that usually should be followed.

I just have seen this little glimps of the new design, so I can't say much. The icons look pretty good, but I just got the impression that with all the very flashy green. I am a little worried that with everything in green after a while your eyes just go crazy. ;-)

But sounds good that the layout can be changed easily. I will have a look at the beta2 once it is out and will see what can be done. Because I like the style of the icons itself and I have to see the whole thing to give a better opinion.

Looking foward to the 2.0 beta 2.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Re: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #80127

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
You can test the new design at devdemo.limesurvey.org/index.php/admin using
username = admin
password = test

I have to admin that the icon are really VERY green. The new design generally looks far better, but I also vote for using decent colors (black, white, grey, blue) and only use green to highlight some elements.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #80135

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
I gave it a quick look and I must say it looks a lot more professional than before.

Now looking at the whole page I actually don't find it that bad, but I would have prefered some less strong colors and the strong green only for they highlights, as I said before. But I guess this isn't the highest priority. As Carsten said that those icons should be easily adaptable (hopefully the colors of the html elements as well), one can easily adapt this or create their own admin template (?).

What doesn't really fit in is the button for activating and deactivating the survey. The icon just doesn't match the quality of the others.

I also like the idea that the icons are in a different color (grey) if a function/section is not available for the survey.

I have seen some kind off error on the edges of the boxes (e.g. left top corner above "Administration"). Somehow the border doesn't go all the way to the edge. Strange.

I had hoped that the icons would become slightly smaller in the newever version, but on big screens this might be actually a no go. From my little 13" Notebook screen they look just too big. ;-)

But as I said, those are minor ideas for improvement. In general the new icons are really a lot nicer than the old ones. Not that they were ugly or anything. For an open source actually not too bad, but just a little out dated. By the way, who did the icons?

And the other two templates, while overall a little easier to the eye do to some contrasting colors are not really comparable with the new one. And as it seems to be themeable, we might see some quite good themes in the future.

Re: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #80162

• c_schmitz
  • NOW ONLINE
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 111
holch wrote:
Now looking at the whole page I actually don't find it that bad, but I would have prefered some less strong colors and the strong green only for they highlights, as I said before. But I guess this isn't the highest priority. As Carsten said that those icons should be easily adaptable (hopefully the colors of the html elements as well), one can easily adapt this or create their own admin template (?).

Yes, that's possible.
holch wrote:
I had hoped that the icons would become slightly smaller in the newever version, but on big screens this might be actually a no go. From my little 13" Notebook screen they look just too big. ;-)

Hehe, check out the global settings. You can switch the theme there. Use 'gartergrey' for the old PHPSurveyor theme with the really nice small icons ;).

holch wrote:
But as I said, those are minor ideas for improvement. In general the new icons are really a lot nicer than the old ones. Not that they were ugly or anything. For an open source actually not too bad, but just a little out dated. By the way, who did the icons?

The basic theme comes from the iconic icon theme ( somerandomdude.com/work/iconic/ ) and I als did my own share of them (new and mixed existing ones). Thank you for the feedback!
Support us, too. Donate to the LimeSurvey project and help keep us going!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by c_schmitz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch

Aw: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #80364

• mkb
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
I agree about the green icons being a little much on the eyes. I think the way they were makes them stand out from each other better also.

Re: Aw: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #80376

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 296
mkb wrote:
I agree about the green icons being a little much on the eyes. I think the way they were makes them stand out from each other better also.
Maybe you can make some suggestions how to best improve the images and/or add an example?!

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re: Aw: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #80380

• mkb
  • Junior Lime
  • Thank you received: 1
I actually like them the way they are. They all stand out from each other and are easy to see. I personally don't see a need to change them.

If you are trying to put more green in because of LIME survey. I would suggest leaving the icons alone and maybe changing the blueish backgrounds to green.

If you want them smaller I just change the view to a lower percent. I do that anyway because I dont like to scroll and it fits more on the page.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by mkb.

Re: Fresh layout 2 years 4 months ago #80446

• Fred
  • Gold Lime
  • Thank you received: 5
I like where the GringeGreen look is headed! Much more hip and up-to-date. It's a nice cosmetic reminder of all the work behind the scenes that produced LS2.

And if people don't like it they can go back to the boring old theme. :)

Thanks for the tip about Iconic also. I may use those on another project.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Donation Image