Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: VV Import - blank responses

VV Import - blank responses 2 years 9 months ago #73528

• Katie
  • Fresh Lemon
I am trying to use VV Import to combine responses from several different surveys (all copies of the same thing, used for different groups) into one master copy of the survey so that we can have all of the responses together. When I import the VV file, the actual answers to the questions (which DO have values in the file being imported) are blank. Response records are created. The token, name, email, completed, start language, and response ID fields are populated, but all of the actual answers to the questions are blank.

The surveys are exactly the same (one is a copy of the other), and I've also tried this with a completely different survey (made a copy of it, exported the results from the original via VV export, imported that file into the copy - blank responses).

Any suggestions? Thank you!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: VV Import - blank responses 2 years 9 months ago #73532

• Ben_V
  • Platinum Lime
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi,

Your problem is that only the main survey IDs are shared when you copy a survey from installation A to installation B ; Groups IDs and questions IDs are changing ...

So the answers can't be filled when you'll import data from A to B using vVV files facilities... because the names of the columns are not strictly similar...

Solution:
To import data from B to A :

1) Export both VV files A and B
2) Open VV_A.csv with a text editor and copy the 2 first lines (with all the correct destination IDs)
3) Open VV_B. csv the same way and replace the 2 first lines with those copied from VV_A
4) Import VV_B... and check!
It should be OK !!!
Ben
Benoît

goo.gl/Bw5iM => Recherche GG dans le forum français (remplacer "exemple" dans la barre de recherche)
goo.gl/WX8PH => GG search for english forum (Replace "example" in the search bar)
goo.gl/IxiGu => Búsqueda en el foro en español (Cambiar "ejemplo" en la barra de...
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, Steve, Katie

Re: VV Import - blank responses 2 years 9 months ago #73549

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
Hello,

in the bug report bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=5740 Shnoulle pointed me to this thread. The solutions works fine for me but I think it might be good if at least a warning is shown if an SGQA in the vv file doesn't match with the available SGQAs in the new survey.

It would also be nice if there is a way to automaticly do this change. I think people will complain if they have to edit all their vv files in order to match the correct group and question. Perhaps there is a better way doing this, e.g. check if the number of groups and questions matches, then try to import it and skip entries with errors.

Anyway, I added a howto to the documentation so it might help other users with the same problem:
docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...ing_vv_file_headings
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team

Re: VV Import - blank responses 2 years 9 months ago #73612

• Katie
  • Fresh Lemon
Thanks so much! I knew I had to be missing something simple, but didn't know what. This did the trick :)
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Katie.

Re: VV Import - blank responses 2 years 9 months ago #73639

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 307
Katie wrote:
Thanks so much! I knew I had to be missing something simple, but didn't know what. This did the trick :)
You're welcome :-)

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to the team .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds
Donation Image