Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Expression Manager: Use Expressions in Validation field

Re: Expression Manager: Use Expressions in Validation field 2 years 7 months ago #73113

• Steve
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 46
Hello,

thank you for your explanation. I think I get why it doesn't work. I change the em_validation_q criteria using "is_empty(this)" and it now works fine.

From the programming logic it seems to be correct. I think you might want to validate a question if you "leave" the question or try to go to the next page/submit the survey. Is there any use case where you validate a question if you answer another question? I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, I added the idea to
ideas.limesurvey.org/ideatorrent/idea/368/
so other people can give feedback or even add other solutions.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Stefan Gohlke
LimeSurvey Team
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Expression Manager: Use Expressions in Validation field 2 years 7 months ago #73127

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 294
TMSWhite wrote:
Mazi wrote:
Talking about marking invalid answers: Can we have a light red background for text fields. Text in those fields is a little hard to read because of the strong red color.

Good idea. Can you recommend a specific CSS color?
Hmm... maybe something like "#F75D59" -> Indian Red1 at www.computerhope.com/htmcolor.htm

Example
SOME BOLD TEXT WITH A NICE RED COLOR

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Mazi.

Re: Expression Manager: Use Expressions in Validation field 2 years 7 months ago #73163

• Fred
  • Gold Lime
  • Thank you received: 5
if, for example, the community says we should never show the regular expression or equation-based validation equations, instead requiring people to enter something into "help" to explain the validation in human-readable terms.

Just my two cents, but I can't think of a single instance when you would want survey respondents to see a help message containing a regular expression. It's incomprehensible. And I don't think we'd want to use the "hide tip" box to hide ALL tips on the question. Unfortunately, maybe there also needs to be a Validation Help text field next to the regex validation field?

A lot of end users are going to be pretty confused about all this :huh:

Re: Expression Manager: Use Expressions in Validation field 2 years 7 months ago #73164

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Fred-

I think you're in the majority on this - I opened a bug ticket.

/Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred

Re: Expression Manager: Use Expressions in Validation field 2 years 7 months ago #73165

• Fred
  • Gold Lime
I installed RC3 and the validation messages are appearing now. Thanks.

One minor thing is that the messages are using different CSS class ids. Using the example of the multi-numeric question where the amounts must not exceed 100:

When I run the question in 1.93 it shows both messages, but using different styles

<span class="questionhelp" id="442_vmsg">The sum must equal 100</span>
<div class="survey-question-answer"><p class="tip">Only numbers may be entered in these fields

In v. 1.91 both messages use the survey-question-answer style

Re: Expression Manager: Use Expressions in Validation field 2 years 7 months ago #73166

• TMSWhite
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 82
Fred-

The team has started a discussion about this. We need more granular styles for the various types of help/tip and validation messages. Once we have a good sense of the direction we can support/recommend, we'll probably solicit the community for feedback.

/Tom

Re: Expression Manager: Use Expressions in Validation field 2 years 7 months ago #73167

• Fred
  • Gold Lime
Ok great. I figured there might be some other instances like this as well. Looking forward to updating my template... :)

Fred
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
Donation Image